SPL Crimson Interface. FM3 overrides and forces SPL Crimson to 44.1 on new iMac

dking

Hopefully someone can help. Without the FM3 connected to the SPL Crimson interface SPDIF, I can select the Sample Rate in "Logic" or "Audio Midi Setup" to whatever I want for the Crimson interface (all of the internal Mac things are assigned to internal controls NOT the SPL Crimson). As soon as I connect the FM3 to the SPL Crimson via SPDIF, the Audio Midi Setup doesn't allow anything other than 44.1 from the drop down menu, in fact it's greyed out. This renders using SPDIF useless. This is an original SPL Crimson that uses Core Audio and is plug and play.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, but something is going on either with then SPL, Core Audio, Logic etc. By the way it sounds great through the SPL when monitoring in real time, no latency at all via SPDIF but as soon as I try to hook it up to the computer, it still sounds good while monitoring but won't record anything but maxed out digital distortion.

Which device is set as the master clock? Clock likes to run downstream based on the physical connections so if it is FM3>SPL>Computer, the FM3 should be the clock source. (there can only be 1 clock in any digital setup) Try setting the FM3 clock to internal & the SPL to spidif or external.

How do you set the FM3 clock to internal? Axe 3 has the ability to do this under Setup/IO/Audio menu, but not the FM3. I can select it as the clock source within Audio Midi Setup, but that doesn't work either. I will try calling SPL on Monday, but I'm looking into another interface as well.

I only have the Axe III but assumed you could select the clock source in the FM3 too. It must be set to always be the master clock so I would think the problem is getting the SPL to accept external clock. Does it have any settings to change the clock source?

The FM3 doesn't allow for external clocking, you need to set the SPL as the slave. Dunno if it has an app where you can set your interface's clock to External. Other than that, seems to be a problem where the SPL guys should be up for help.

BTW, in my MIDI/Audio config in MAC I have my interface always set at 48 kHz whether or not my FAS gear is on.

I also have the SPL Crimson and I love it. When I turn on the Axefx3, which is also connected via spdif, it stops.
I just unplug the usb cable from the Crimson for a second, replug….and there we go. I know, its not elegant, but it works. And I‘m too lazy to try to fight the problem, but that‘s how I do it with mine. PC and Studio One Pro.
Once it is plugged in and turned on, I can also easily switch between the SPL Crimson or the Audiointerface of my Mr18 Midas digitalmixer.

Thanks I’ll try that (and I think I already have unplugged it from the FM3 side and it didn’t work) but it might not work since I can’t seem to make FM3 clock external or SPL external. I’m thinking of getting an Antelope Audio Discrete 4, but it would be a shame to spend the money and have the same issue, plus I’d want to use the Antelopes clocking since I’ve read that it’s very good. Not sure if it really matters though.

Thanks I’ll try that (and I think I already have unplugged it from the FM3 side and it didn’t work) but it might not work since I can’t seem to make FM3 clock external or SPL external. I’m thinking of getting an Antelope Audio Discrete 4, but it would be a shame to spend the money and have the same issue, plus I’d want to use the Antelopes clocking since I’ve read that it’s very good. Not sure if it really matters though.

I've got the Axe FX Ultra and today tried using SPDIF with my SPL Crimson for the first time. When I turn off the Ultra, the Crimson is banjaxed and I have to reset as described above.

I'm not sure if I've fixed it but I've tried purposefully to crash it now three times now and can't do it so I think I may have solved it.

The Ultra when connected to the Crimson demands 48kHz and to be the Master clock with the SPL being the Slave.

I went into Control Panel on Windows 10, Hardware and Sounds, then Manage Audio Devices.

On the Playback tab, I made sure that SPL Crimson Speakers were the Default Device. In the Properties Tab, go to Advanced, and set it to 24 bit 48000 Hz. I make sure there is no tick by "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" because I am a perennial multitabber alongside Reaper and now the Ultra :)

Next, go back to Manage Audio Devices. Select the Recording Tab. You should have A Crimson Line In option. Click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and again set it to 24-bit 48000Hz and untick the "Allow applications" box if needs be.

Touch wood, this works and my Crimson no longer goes silent when the Ultra (aka the Master clock) is turned off.

Tried it once more: no issues.

Back
Top Bottom