Spill Proof AX8.

If Fractal builds a spill proof AX8, that will be awesome.

Until then (as i will be playing some bars and restaurants with a buddy of mine) in order to avoid spills from drunk bastards; I thought to custom fit acrylic above it, printed with a 3D printer.

Do you think it's a stupid idea; do you know a better one?

Lol, how did i not think of that... Thanks "iaresee" that's an awesome tip!

Doesn't the unit need to breath though?
Yea good point. I've only done this with the MFC which doesn't generate the same amount of heat. You can leave a bit of the back open. Really you're protecting from spills that occur over the top of the unit.

Yea good point. I've only done this with the MFC which doesn't generate the same amount of heat. You can leave a bit of the back open. Really you're protecting from spills that occur over the top of the unit.

I was literally thinking that and putting my hand in my forehead before you answered :D

Ye with half of the back open the liquid will just drain down to the cables and floor therefore should be no worries.

If Fractal builds a spill proof AX8, that will be awesome.

Until then (as i will be playing some bars and restaurants with a buddy of mine) in order to avoid spills from drunk bastards; I thought to custom fit acrylic above it, printed with a 3D printer.

Do you think it's a stupid idea; do you know a better one?

I'd suggest it's relatively spill proof. The FX8 seems like you could spill an entire beer on it without much worry. The light up knobs bit on the AX8 I can't comment on though.

I was forced to go down from stage tonight as the DJ needed a huge table in the corner. Sigh. Yes, taking an expensive modeler and then being forced to put it on the dance floor is never fun -- I suspect I won't take these kinds of gigs in future.

I was forced to go down from stage tonight as the DJ needed a huge table in the corner. Sigh. Yes, taking an expensive modeler and then being forced to put it on the dance floor is never fun -- I suspect I won't take these kinds of gigs in future.

Refusing certain gigs or not. Once you play the AX8 you won't be able to go to a Line 6, shitty Pod; you know what i mean.
Fractal really should build a very strong and spill proof AX8. I would be willing to pay the same price as a FX2 XL+.

I play shitty bars, outdoor parties and stuff... never had anyone spill on my stuff other than myself. I've stopped using my Swirly-Gig to hold my drinks and have started putting them on the drum riser, and I don't over drink. No spills on my shit in a long long time.

I played a local bar Friday night; no stage. We all used in-ears, so there was no floor-monitor buffer between the dance floor and my mic stand. For a change, I used a small pedalboard and amp. I got really concerned at one point late in the gig, as beer and dancing led to a spill. Didn't hit my board, but got me really thinking about covering an AX8. Meanwhile, I'm back to my MFC, which has its share of dirt and wear. I think protecting the AX8 in certain situations is very wise.

The band I play with is constantly on glass patrol as we play...people have almost spilled a drink on the mixing console (Behringer X32) which is on stage with us. We have signs on the subs to please not place drinks there...well it has become a joke for the band now. The funny thing is it is not like it is unique to dives or anything like that...we played a Corporate Christmas party Friday night (very nice, fairly high end place) and I was still moving drinks away from all the equipment. I think it just comes with the territory. People like to get close to the band etc...

We sometimes bring people up on stage to dance with us (well, not me, the front line actually)...I have become very good at shuffling people away from my pedal board as we play...it is like a magnet for high heel shoes...

Anyway, I have the same concerns as everyone else...this is an expensive piece of gear for a part timer like me :confused:

Hopefully the board is as tough built as it looks...

Last edited:
It's one of those social mysteries that people are very careful of not putting drinks back home on their stereo gear, but at venues it's Ok to place wine glasses and beer bottles next to a pedalboard, or then a big class of Coke next to the tube amp on stage (happened to me a week ago...)

Social mysteries? They don't care; or they are drunk and they don't care! They don't know whats there its not their hard worked money; and when they know what's there they might even do it, carelessly for pure evil.

Back
Top Bottom