Spent the day at Matrix Amps!

xpenno

Power User
So I've just got back from a long day at Matrix where I got to spend some quality time with a bunch of new toys, some ready to hit the production line, some still in R&D. Needless to say that I was like a kid in candy store, there were a few real surprises and had a superb day rocking out in the product demo suite!

I got to play the new 2x12 light-weight guitar cabinet with with both a real guitar amp and my AxeFX through my Matrix GT1500FXBD. The cab was sat next to my current 2x12 cab to which is was compared and totally destroyed. The matrix is sooooo light it doesn't seem right that it could sound deeper, wider and bigger than a traditional cab that is physically bigger and much heavier. It's a killer product that will ruin the income stream for many a chiropractor!

Next up came the 1x12 proto version (pic below) of the above cab. This was a bit of a mind bender for me really, again it was sat in A/B next to my (now soon to be ex) 2x12 cab and again it sounded bigger, wider and deeper than the 2x12. I didn't have any scales but this thing ways next to nothing for a guitar cab, it really is ridiculous! The cab design and porting lets this thing sound huge despite its weight, I loved it so much that I managed to bundle it in the car to take home with me for further "testing" :D

Photo of my Axe rig sitting on the proto 2x12 with the pint-sized 1x12 upfront.

MatrixDay.jpg

Last but most definitely not least, the proto 2x12 FRFR that was recently mentioned on the Matrix Facebook page. There are not a lot of public details available for the cab and I was sworn to secrecy by Andy so I cannot really got into too any detail about the specs but it's a 2x12 that sounds like a 4x12 stack. It was clear, punchy, has a real nice thump that hits you right where you want it and most importantly it felt great to play. This could well be the missing piece of the FRFR puzzle for many, I tested with a GT1600FX and my AxeFX2. I was running some of the new cab sims in v10 as well as some of the old classics such as the guitarhack cabs and the cab just sounds great from the tight lows to the crystal top end. We also played some dance music through the thing at VOLUME and it sounded soooo tight and clear even a almost unbearable volume levels. This will be ideal for those guitarists who want to destroy their drummer whilst also keeping the 2x12 form factor and weight, it also works really well at low volume as well so could literally take you from your bedroom to the biggest arena in one box!!

I got to play the Reaper again which is always a pleasure, when it hits the streets I'll probably grab one of these for a backup to my AxeFX, it just sounds like agreat guitar amp and weighs nothing. I also grabbed a go on another proto 1x10 which really rocked but my time was limited with this one, sounded great though.

It is certainly exciting times down at Matrix, it's clear to me that they have been asking, and more importantly listening to their customer then producing the products that they have asked for. I look forward to seeing these products hit the streets and also to see what else these guys are going to produce in the future! Anyway I better get saving my pennies!

Thanks

Spence

Very exciting stuff! Love the FRFR 2x12 idea. I am keeping a close eye out for this one. Did you test the vertical or the horizontal?

The model I played was horizontal but it was still a prototype so only time will tell what the final version will deliver.

Any idea as to when the cabs will be released? I'm going to be getting the axefx within a month and I'm having a REALLY hard time deciding between matrix and Atomic. Atomic seems cheaper due to money conversion and shipping, but from what I'm reading both products are simply amazing. Sooo many choices.

XP - sounds like an awesome day...

I'm soooo jealous.. lol...

the thing that I found amazing about that 2x12 cab is it's depth
in all the videos Matt has shot of it the one thing the never comes across [which is kinda obvious really] is what it's like to be stood next to it..
it was pretty startling

Any idea as to when the cabs will be released? I'm going to be getting the axefx within a month and I'm having a REALLY hard time deciding between matrix and Atomic. Atomic seems cheaper due to money conversion and shipping, but from what I'm reading both products are simply amazing. Sooo many choices.

We will be sharing release information as soon as possible.
I thank you in advance for your patience and hope that you will find it is rewarded with the quality of the speaker :)

My best regards
Matt

Great, I've just sold my mesa poweramp 2:90 and the mesa 4x12 cab is on sale.
Releasing some money to invest in some matrix stuff =)

The 2x12 FRFR cab is exactly what I'm after. An active stereo would be so freaking sweat.
Light traveling, Axe/2x12/mfc and some guitars. (My current setup is so damn heavy =))

sounds like just what I need.. recently sold my 4x12 to fund a 2x12 replacement but looking like I'll have to buy a traditional cab instead as delivery dates seem a while away yet :(

I'm confused: there's a 2x12 trad (lightweight) cab and a 2x12 FRFR cab coming? Can I route an IR to the FRFR and turn the IR off for the trad cab simultaneously? Sounds like a killer option.

Is the traditional cab using traditional speakers we can buy like Jenson, Webber, Celestion etc or are they proprietary?

Back
Top Bottom