Spent some time with Jimmy Johnson Guitar Tech for Lifeson/Shaw

Dramelot

Power User
Had a night to remember. Played before the Styx show for the SA Rodeo.
Jimmy Johnson guitar tech for Alex Lifeson, Peter Frampton Todd Rungren Neal Schon and now Tommy Shaw came and got me. Gave me an All access VIP pass. Took me to show all of the equipment and guitars in what he calls guitar world. Chatted for a half hour about everything I could think to ask, shared some funny stories. Then I got to watch the show from backstage. I like my new friend!! . Thank you JJ!!

Attachments

• duane styx2.jpg
    duane styx2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 81
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 71
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 77
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 77
  • photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 66
Well one was, where is the fractal? He said the Kemper works better for them as the backup for now so its in storage. Asked him about the mod s he did to Tommys TLS's. He said all point to point new Trans, and he put in digital readouts to bias tubes on the fly. Guit strings 9-46 change all every day. Stomp box drawer he presses all TS effects except for wah that is vca. Ah the Palmers are still there, no need to change what works. About his Gorgomyte guitar cleaner (you must try this stuff, I have used it for years) Does Schon really grease up his board with Salami...
yes, he wanted me to do it for the first time and I told him he had to show me for me to believe it. He said Neal got the idea from Wes Montgomery. Showed me what will become the Tommy Shaw Les Paul model!! What else,,, I'll have to think more, it went by so fast and I was just giddy, he is a rockstar in my opinion. You ought to see him work, total pro, never stands around.
One thing i didnt get to ask him during the show he has a Godzilla doll on top of a rack and he gives it a sip of water every so often lol. I got to say just a quick hi to Tommy and the band, I didnt want to be that guy and he was so gracious to me i didnt bother to approach the band as I was his guest.

Last edited:
Man that is some great info!!! I ended up ordering me some Gorgomyte as well LOL. Since I don't have Gear Gas no more "I still have Guitar Gas though" just purchased a 7 String Music Man Majesty Polar Noir to go with my Suhr Modern so the Gorgomyte should come in handy:D

Yeah I wouldnt use salami either lol. The gorgomyte works great. Feels like a new guitar after a treatment, but he told me to not use it on gold hardware, over time it could rub off the plating. He only teched for Schon a short time while styx was touring with journey and his tech had family stuff to tend to.
Other tips were to check all hardware tight, especially tuners and to use deoxit regularly. What a guy, he is so busy but took it on his self to look me up and give me the rockstar treatment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom