Spent so much time and money...

Using 11s at the moment, both on 24 3/4", 25" and 25 1/2" scaled guitars, but I don't think I would use the words "better" or "worse" to describe the difference in sound quality between different gauges. I'm actually considering going down to 9s on my strats again, as there is a certain twangy quality that I like with strats strung with 9s, especially on gain tones, low through high. At the moment, the heavier gauge make me play different, but I can't say that I sound objectively better. Just different, as a sum of the tone of the strings and the way you play when you approach different gauges.

The most important difference to me is that 9's escape the pick, sort of feels like spaghetti. I want to hit em hard and they must fight back! 11's put up a good fight.

I've just stuck with 10s over the years, it's comfortable and the tone has been fine. I just tune to Eb most of the time for a little more playability if I have the choice.

Wow, a lot of discussion about string gauges. I guess it's like underwear... you got to go with what is comfortable and it won't be the same for everybody. However, I am telling you that the change for me was HUGE. The *only* other difference is that I was using Ernie Ball Slinkys (10) and the 11's are D'Addario. The brands aren't that different, or are they? Something changed BIG time. I was really on the edge of ditching the Axe and going back to amp and pedals. This changes everything for me. Every factory preset sounds so good. In the past it was very disappointing.

I like the feel of the 11s. I have no issue bending them and don't feel like I'm fighting the guitar in any way. I may change back one day just to test, but for now, I am one very happy player.

Cheers!

Regarding string gauge: a friend of mine was working in a music store when a customer came in an requested strings. my friend askes:" what do you need? 10s or 12s?" customer:" oh well... I don't mind, just give me the longer ones. .."

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

... and the best improvement by far in my tone with the Axe FX II was to change strings -- from 10s to 11s on my American Deluxe Telecaster. I am really trying to understand how a small change in string gauge can make that much of a difference? It's like night and day. I have really struggled to coax out the sweet sounds that I knew lay within. So much tweaking/dialing; spending money; researching; and playing. Everything was harsh, thin, ice picks... factory presets, Axe Exchange, forum offerings -- all of it. Put on a set of D'Addario EXL 115s tonight and every factory preset was like NAD!!! Unbelievable.

Most of what I play is low to medium gain with short trips in to medium-high gain for leads/solos. Wow! What a journey it's been. Every week just trying to get a sound that I could work (cope) with and not having much time left to actually learn material and setup scenes/presets. Playing was really getting to be a drag. Joy. I have finally experienced it -- pure joy. I knew it was there. Strings? Go figure.

And if you tune 1/2 step down it sounds even better!

I can tell a 9 from a 10 for the high e almost 100% of the time just from the audio. Not so much the other strings, but it's a big difference to me.

This is like perfect pitch for string gauge. Perfect Pauge.
I'm using hybrid. EB2222. 9's for the high 3. Plays smother. I play better so it sounds better.

I don't get it... what's the big deal with Eb tuning?

Well, for Strats and Teles its just the magical tuning, most if not all of the old blues tunes where in Eb, when i was very young i struggle getting SRV tone because besides him being the guitar God he was using .12 or .13 strings in Eb just makes a hell of a difference, i was trying to get his tone with .09 in standard tuning... never going to happen.

The only way to understand and to know if you like that tuning is to try it yourself.

Wow, a lot of discussion about string gauges. I guess it's like underwear... you got to go with what is comfortable and it won't be the same for everybody.

Agree 100%. I have a heavy picking hand so .009 usually won't cut it for me. Currently I use .010. But I'm considering trying .009 again and easing up on my picking hand. I think the reason I have a heavy hand is from playing shit amps in the beginning years. I would dig into the strings to get more bark out of them. It became a habit. I find myself experimenting with that now and I'd say a lot of the energy in my picking hand is not needed. I want to play smarter not harder so I'm working on that now. :\

However, I am telling you that the change for me was HUGE. The *only* other difference is that I was using Ernie Ball Slinkys (10) and the 11's are D'Addario. The brands aren't that different, or are they? Something changed BIG time. Cheers!

There may be that much of a difference. I was turned on to the D'Addario's through my Suhr arrival late last year. Had been a Superslinky user as well. The D'Addario's have been really impressive both in tone and longevity. I'll know more when I restring the guitar that was replaced by the Suhr (poor baby). :)

For me personally (YMMV), heavier string gauges never sounded different. Or at least not enough to worry over. Obviously the feel was different. Supposedly Billy Gibbons plays .008's and I've always thought he's had great tone and feel. Definitely not thin like you'd think .008's would provide. Conversely Stevie Ray supposedly played some insanely heavy gauge. Of course he also had great tone and feel. MHO is it's mostly your picking hand.

My experience is that string gauge, brand and especially tuning dramatically effect tone. Eb sounds thicker and chunkier to me than A440.

I'd like to try some 11"s on my PRS 513 which has always had 10's. Do you guys find you have to change your guitar setup very much when you switch from 10's to 11's?

I can tell a pretty big difference in tone in 9, 10, 11 sets.

But for me, it really depends on the brand of strings and all the string gauges not just the high E string gauge. Some "9's" are so light they require a much softer touch than I have.

I recently changed where I have all my setups done and they use D'Addario. The balanced tension 10 sets from D'Addario are a great set for players that want the feel of 9's but the tone of a bigger set. They work great for standard and Eb tuning too.

I go up to 11's for D tuning though.

Humm, I don't know about moving to .11's but I know I love a new set of strings on a guitar once the set that's on it goes dead.

When I played full time (club circuit bands) I'd change strings every night on my main guitar. Pain in the ass but damn it was nice. New picks every set. Did I mention I have a heavy picking hand?

I've been using 11s for as long as I can remember... I started because 10s just felt loose in Eb tuning which I used for years - for me 11s in Eb felt like 10s in standard. What I like about heavier strings is that they require more effort, forcing you to dig in a bit more, which I feel is at least partially responsible for the "better tone." I'm back to standard tuning these days, and while 11s are a bit more painful when I'm out of playing shape - which is most of the time these days - I simply don't feel like going to lower gauge strings just to make it "easier."

I'd like to try some 11"s on my PRS 513 which has always had 10's. Do you guys find you have to change your guitar setup very much when you switch from 10's to 11's?

Because of the vibrating string's elliptical pattern, you may have to raise the string height from the fingerboard to avoid fret buzz with the thicker strings, especially the wound strings. You will most likely need to reset the intonation too.:)

ive always felt like the string gauge thing was a crock. i'm glad it's helped you in your search but i've never noticed a big difference between gauges, brands, cobalts, etc.

I'm with you. I have changed several times over the years and have never had such a change in my tone. I must have hit a sweet spot between my guitar, pickups and the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom