SpectrumTrack™

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
I'm just trying to be the first to post that word here :) What do I win?

CYGNUS is the latest innovation in amp modeling from Fractal Audio Systems. It uses new SpectrumTrack™ Technology to improve the response of amp models from clean to high gain. Cygnus delivers truer and more dynamic voicing—especially for models with cascaded gain stages—plus exceptionally satisfying “chugs.” All Axe-Fx III units are now shipping with Cygnus pre-installed, plus an all-new set of Factory Presets showcasing the new modeling and more!

I’m assuming this is an internal measurement process, but part of me does wonder if this is the “better than profiling” thing Cliff mentioned a bit ago.
I inquired about this during the early betas of Cygnus but never received an answer.

CYGNUS is the latest innovation in amp modeling from Fractal Audio Systems. It uses new SpectrumTrack™ Technology to improve the response of amp models from clean to high gain. Cygnus delivers truer and more dynamic voicing—especially for models with cascaded gain stages—plus exceptionally satisfying “chugs.” All Axe-Fx III units are now shipping with Cygnus pre-installed, plus an all-new set of Factory Presets showcasing the new modeling and more!

Where's this blurb from?

SpectrumTrack(TM) ensures that the frequency response of the model matches the real amp at all levels of input excitation.

If you've played other products you may notice that the response deviates if you roll down the volume on your guitar. For example, the ****** gets noticeably more midrangey when you roll off your guitar volume. The ***** gets thinner. Etc, etc. This error in response also manifests when varying your picking intensity, especially for low- to mid-gain tones.

SpectrumTrack(TM) compares the model to the reference amp at a wide range of excitation levels and ensures that the model's response matches that of the reference amps.

SpectrumTrack(TM) ensures that the frequency response of the model matches the real amp at all levels of input excitation.

If you've played other products you may notice that the response deviates if you roll down the volume on your guitar. For example, the ****** gets noticeably more midrangey when you roll off your guitar volume. The ***** gets thinner. Etc, etc. This error in response also manifests when varying your picking intensity, especially for low- to mid-gain tones.

SpectrumTrack(TM) compares the model to the reference amp at a wide range of excitation levels and ensures that the model's response matches that of the reference amps.

Ahhhhh....this explains why I played for several minutes picking a single note with varied intensity the other day and just marveled at the feel and how you could bring in/out various 'harmonic chirps' by doing that. I've never been able to do that to the degree I can now with Cygnus...

So, there will be an option to make a "SpectrumTrack" of any amp that I own?

For example - I have a 5150, may I create with this technology a better tone match and make the 6160 model respond and react the knobs just as my real amp and take it with me?

Have to say this recent release of firmwares has changed the amps I like or (more accurately) noodle with. It's not because I think something is off, but how amazing they sound. Serious statement...my volume and tone knobs on the guitar is a whole new parameter. It's contour, punch, saturation, and juice. I normally play higher gain amps...totally guilty of this. The chieftain and tweeds have me in a rabbit hole that I'm having issues escaping from. On a normal day, i fire up the metronome with a cup of coffee and screw around with economy picking and reoccurring arpeggios. Not a fun person, but it's enjoyable and relaxing.

I had an opportunity to meet this amazing guitar tech (this excerpt leads back to the point.) This cat was just straight up waling in this warehouse that was partitioned off with practice spaces for bands. It was essentially an apartment structure for practice spaces in Cincinnati (Loud and Clear Sound Company). Hence...his playing reverbed throughout that place and it was amazing. I played the young and dumb card and walked into the shop and he explained how he was testing a double coil that he wired by hand. How he demonstrated it's abilities were by using the volume knob. Punch, Spank, and Warmth is what i heard. He explained a lot of other things, but I was too dumb at the time to absorb it. This is what it feels like now.

The pickup volume knobs have now REALLY come into their own with how they affect the sound. Its a multi-verse now. I notice it more with lower to mid gain amps. Only problem now is when I listen to high gain amps that I normally play, I shy away from them because they have less dynamics (which is probably natural and akin to how they are). The creation of gain, overdrive, saturation from picking velocity or finger picking stress is just unreal. The damn 5F8 Tweed is draining my soul. Hilarious thing is...I could walk into the most prestigious, well stocked amp dealer and couldn't even tell you what this amp should look like, but i can explain how it sounds and how I think it should break up.

BTW, the guy was the guitar tech for one or more of the guys of L. Skynyrd around '95 time era. I might be off on some of that,... its been a few years.

I guess that explains why the Trainwrecks are freaking amazing now. When you roll your volume down they go from thick and warm to thin and bright as they clean up. With my guitar on 1 or 2 it’s spanky clean and still plenty loud. I’ve never played a model or real amp that was so responsive to guitar volume. I could see someone using that amp for a whole gig on one scene with no dirt pedals.

I guess that explains why the Trainwrecks are freaking amazing now. When you roll your volume down they go from thick and warm to thin and bright as they clean up. With my guitar on 1 or 2 it’s spanky clean and still plenty loud. I’ve never played a model or real amp that was so responsive to guitar volume. I could see someone using that amp for a whole gig on one scene with no dirt pedals.
Trainwrecks are famous for that. Just guitar and volume knob.

Trainwrecks are famous for that. Just guitar and volume knob.
I’ve heard that, but haven’t played a real one. And I either never gave the models a fair shake or they are just significantly better in Cygnus. I’d spent a minute or two with them in the past as I scanned through amps, but last night I got stuck on the Express for a good two hours.

Back
Top Bottom