Spector NS-2 Bass. A big deal?

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
A friend of mine is selling a Spector NS-2 bass (early serial number). He's all excited about the instrument. I never heard of these. Big deal?

Depends on which NS-2. Is it the US neck thru model with P/J pickups?
As with guitars, the tone and playability aspects are very personal, so I won't touch on those. If you play bass, or want to play bass, it will be a well-made instrument that can be gigged at any level. If you like the feel and tone, great. Prominent users of the NS-2 are Doug Wimbish, Nikki Sixx, Eddie Jackson (before he switched to Lulls), Rex Brown (before his signature model), and many others.

Yes. They were an extremely popular bass back in the day. One of the best you could buy at the time. They are still made now (and still expensive!). I believe all the NS-2's were American made then and I believe still are. The mid line models (euro, rebop etc.) are from Czech. I always wanted one. Maybe it's the era I'm from but for me I think it's the coolest looking bass ever!

It depends on if it's an NS-2, NS-2A and so on (it's pretty common for people to call the NS-2A just NS-2, either out of ignorance or deliberately). The Czech ones are still nothing to scoff at, just make sure to not pay US price for a Czech one. Definitely great basses... I wish they could replicate that tone in their 5 string basses better. Just something about that P/J setup that they can't quite nail down in the 5ers yet.

Well it definitely looks like the real deal. I'm not buying but just trying to help my buddy move the guitar. I think I may have found a buyer for him but I wanted to know more about the instrument myself.
Here are some pics:
170B1C6F-062A-4CAF-88D6-32C91EFE7B50.jpg

472CB823-F427-4798-96E6-206616F48B92.jpg

A77301A2-B09A-467A-B367-2D09B2F3245A.jpg

The only thing that jumps out at me is that it appears to not have Stuart's signature on the back of the headstock. I think some had it in the control cavity though, but my Spector history knowledge isn't good enough to know what years that happened. Otherwise looks legit and in very nice condition. How much was he asking for it?

The only thing that jumps out at me is that it appears to not have Stuart's signature on the back of the headstock. I think some had it in the control cavity though, but my Spector history knowledge isn't good enough to know what years that happened. Otherwise looks legit and in very nice condition. How much was he asking for it?

5K net.
Oh the guitar is legit and has some pedigree. Used to belong to Frampton apparently and had to be refinished after damage in some flood. I played it too. I'm no bass player but there's no doubt this is a sweet instrument.

I found out more about this bass. Apparently this was one of the instruments that was lost during a major flood in Nashville and was discarded because the body had split. A local luthier got a hold of it and repaired and refinished it, including headstock. Which is why Stuart's sig is no longer visible. The whole body and neck were refinished and restored to original condition but refinished.
He's listed it on eBay for 2500.00
If anyone's interested, let me know. I know he'll let it go for a better price if he's not saddled with eBay fees.

Back
Top Bottom