Speaker resonance when using a SS power amp and traditional cab

marshall2553

Power User
I was wondering if there was a "correct" way to set high and low speaker resonance in the amp block when you're playing through a solid state power amp into a traditional cab. It seems like the default values may be redundant in this scenario and over-emphasize certain frequencies. Is setting it flat the way to go?

I was wondering if there was a "correct" way to set high and low speaker resonance in the amp block when you're playing through a solid state power amp into a traditional cab. It seems like the default values may be redundant in this scenario and over-emphasize certain frequencies. Is setting it flat the way to go?
You should set the low res in the amp block to the resonance frequency of your cab.
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AMP_block_parameters#SPKR_page

Hmm, I guess I'll ballpark the low frequency with my actual speaker and adjust the resonance and Q to taste. I don't see much mention of how to adjust HF resonance and I've never seen that listed in speaker specs.

Basically I would turn the knob slowly until I heard the room kind of rumble and shake. You'll know it when you hear it. Make sure you use a treated room, or you may run into a node/resonant frequency around A-Bb on the low string (common for most rooms in a house).

Ever since quantum, I've used the default per amp and its sounded great. Using a matrix gt800fx.

Back
Top Bottom