Speaker Resonance page

paging @Ragdoll @2112 LeonTodd...

Leon has created a great video tutorial, where he shows how to use the synth block-generated signal that you alter frequency output of into a power amp and speaker Cab and thus "dial in" the right Speaker resonance frequency.

I am scouring his YouTube channel to find the link, but he has hundreds of videos and it is not popping up, but I have seen it - it does exist and really tells you what to do.

Leon could you post the link here for us??? THANKS!

Next week I'm going to to do it for my Bludotone 1x12 (closed) and 2x12 (oval back) to help get those dial in even further.

Right here ->

To get what resonance actually means is the first step.
Your guitar has a resonance. There are always notes where a guitar resonates way easier and notes where it is the opposite. In a worst case you have dead spots on the fretboard where the note sounds dull because the resonance don't exists at all at that certain frequency . Too much of a resonance can also be a problem when a note stands out and is way more prominent than others. Worst case is when parts swing together with the strings and add an unwanted high note.
With that example it is easier to understand that an eq can not fix this, at least not perfectly.

The resonant behavior of a speaker you took an IR of should already be part of that IR. A resonance at a certain frequency should lead to a higher volume there. Unfortunalty it's impact depends a bit on the speed of the frequency sweep when taking the IR...but that's another story.

What's not part of the IR is the resonance that happens because of the interaction of poweramp and speaker. So this had to be modeled.
You could add it everywhere where you don't have a natural interaction of a real cab with a tube poweramp (or a low damping valve state amp which works similar).

I subscribe to the Copenhagen Interpretation of the Speaker Page. Don't try to understand how it applies to the real world, "Just calculate!". I mess with the low res parameters until it feels good, then I stop.

Right here ->

Hey Leon. I subscribed to your YouTube channel last week and all your Axe tips are amazing! I've been applying your tips to my patches and my updated patches make my old patches seem lifeless, so thx! Also it's nice knowing you're a fellow Aussie as I'm from Melb so g'day mate!

Now your video talks about finding the Low Res Freq of your cab. Does this only apply if you're using a REAL cab and poweramp? Coz I apply it to all my patches and I use an active Atomic Clr wedge and the manual states that the Low Res Freq of this wedge is 70hz, so I lower the Low Res Freq in the Amp Speaker tab to match. Am i doing the right or wrong thing here seeing I'm not using a Poweramp and real cab set up?

Hey Leon. I subscribed to your YouTube channel last week and all your Axe tips are amazing! I've been applying your tips to my patches and my updated patches make my old patches seem lifeless, so thx! Also it's nice knowing you're a fellow Aussie as I'm from Melb so g'day mate!

Now your video talks about finding the Low Res Freq of your cab. Does this only apply if you're using a REAL cab and poweramp? Coz I apply it to all my patches and I use an active Atomic Clr wedge and the manual states that the Low Res Freq of this wedge is 70hz, so I lower the Low Res Freq in the Amp Speaker tab to match. Am i doing the right or wrong thing here seeing I'm not using a Poweramp and real cab set up?

If I'm not mistaken, you would want the resonance frequencies to match the cab IR you're using in that case. I could be wrong but that's how I understand it.

Tube amp and cab = zero out the resonance
Solid state amp and cab = match the resonant frequencies of the cab
Frfr = match the IR being used

Edit to add: or don't match anything at all, just adjust it until it sounds good to you.

If I'm not mistaken, you would want the resonance frequencies to match the cab IR you're using in that case. I could be wrong but that's how I understand it.

Tube amp and cab = zero out the resonance
Solid state amp and cab = match the resonant frequencies of the cab
Frfr = match the IR being used

Edit to add: or don't match anything at all, just adjust it until it sounds good to you.

Ok Thx ChainOfThought I appreciate the clarification. Looks like I've been doing it wrong all this time LOL :(

Right here ->

Hi @2112 , i recently saw this video and i've tried to replicate this trick to fine tune my rig( Ax8 --> Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 --> marshall 1912 cab). Problem is that I was not able to make the synth block generate any signals.

Any suggestions regarding what i'm doing wrong? +

Thank you!

I use this a lot.
It’s probably the most important control along with xformer match when paired up with a real can IMO. However, it’s a pain to set it up for every preset I do, considering I tend to use the same cab.
Is there a way to select a global setting for the speaker page?

Most of the time I use my AXE in what you could call “live/room mode”, which is basically an amp block set up for SSPA+CAB, no cab block, and many effects. This way, by scrolling through different amp models, it’s like switching heads. Great for practicing and overall having fun with the band.

I use this a lot.
It’s probably the most important control along with xformer match when paired up with a real can IMO. However, it’s a pain to set it up for every preset I do, considering I tend to use the same cab.
Is there a way to select a global setting for the speaker page?

Most of the time I use my AXE in what you could call “live/room mode”, which is basically an amp block set up for SSPA+CAB, no cab block, and many effects. This way, by scrolling through different amp models, it’s like switching heads. Great for practicing and overall having fun with the band.
There’s not an easy way to do this globally. The closest you can get to that is using global blocks for your amp block, but that doesn’t apply to scrolling through amp models

I have the same issue and all I do is ignore it while auditioning models. When I find one that hits me right and I play with it for more than 2 or 3 minutes i go to the speaker page and put in my defaults that I figured out for my cab. Assuming that sounds fine then I keep going with the preset, otherwise I stop and tweak for a few moments if the model needs a little less resonance or whatever. That’s the quickest way I’ve been able to figure it out.

For what it’s worth, you can measure your cabs impedence curve with Room Eq Wizard (free program), some cable and a 100 ohm resistor.

Instructions:
https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/impedancemeasurement.html

I did it to my cab to find the low res frequency and approximate Q, and the treble slope. I approximated those settings into the speaker page and I like the results. I saved the settings in my phone so I could quickly add them to any new patch I make.

Back
Top Bottom