Speaker Repair

Narzugon

Power User
A buddy of mine needs a speaker repair/replacement. After some troubleshooting I found that one of the leads coming from the voicecoil/cone broke at the terminal. To me it appears that it was to short and didn't have enough slack to move freely with the cone. I believe there to be a short at he voicecoil end as well. The speaker is maybe 4 years old. No damage to the cone. No help from the mfg because it's out of warranty.

It's an 8ohm 10" 150watt Acoustic bass speaker. I'm seeing $80'sh costs on new speakers and I'm wondering what ballpark I'd be in if I were to have it repaired?

I can't imagine it being cheaper than half the cost of a new speaker and then factor in shipping (unless there is someone near me in SC). But I thought I would ask since I've never had to repair a speaker before.

Anyone versed in speaker repair that could point me in the right direction or tell what ballpark they would be in?

Thanks

I've tried repairing that tinsel and haven't have very good results. If the voice coil has problems, then a recone
would probably be needed. Getting the appropriate components to repair it is questionable. Look up speaker reconing on google
to see if there is anyone close to you doing recone/repair work anfd ask them if they can repair it.

The biggest problem with sending something out for repair is the amount of time your gear is down. Then as stated above can the person repairing it even get in spec parts to fix it. Personally I would buy a new speaker and if you wanted to go the extra and have a backup try getting that one repaired after.

I agree. In this case it's been sidelined for some time and he was hoping to get it back into the lineup on the cheap. So down time for this cab isn't an issue. Honestly, $80 isn't bad to get what appears to be a relatively new looking cab back into action. But I told him I'd look into it.

I sent him some links on new replacement speakers yesterday.

Thanks for the input you two.

\m/

My advice is same as Barney Stinson's - New is already better. Don't waste your time repairing it, instead use that situation for adding something new in your life.

Back
Top Bottom