Speaker preference for back line cab. Does it matter?

I'm using a CLR as my stage monitor and a 2x12 cab as a backline. It currently has greenbacks in it and was wondering if there is a speaker preference when using a regular cab in conjunction with an FRFR monitor?

I'm using a CLR as my stage monitor and a 2x12 cab as a backline. It currently has greenbacks in it and was wondering if there is a speaker preference when using a regular cab in conjunction with an FRFR monitor?

I pick cabs and speakers just like I would for real amp heads. I never consider if I'm using it with or without my CLR's.

So for me, it's really what cabs and speakers are my favorites. I have an open back 2x12 with Weber California Ceramics that I really like and a closed back Marshall 2x12 with Celestions. I *think* its a V30 and a G12H-75 but I'm not positive.

I personally would be exploring 2x12 greenback IRs in the cab block within the signal path that feeds the CLR to try and get a close match between backline and FOH/CLR and I'd stick with that cab block in my presets for the whole set.

But that's just my preference ..... if you think the overall sound sounds ok out front when you use different cab IRs to CLR and FOH then it's fine

I personally would be exploring 2x12 greenback IRs in the cab block within the signal path that feeds the CLR to try and get a close match between backline and FOH/CLR and I'd stick with that cab block in my presets for the whole set.

But that's just my preference ..... if you think the overall sound sounds ok out front when you use different cab IRs to CLR and FOH then it's fine

I never thought of it like that. I usually think about "filling" in or complimenting with multiple cabs vs. replicating. Makes sense though.

The only reason I see that it could matter is that backline is facing the audience. If you're running a cab sim through a traditional guitar cab the tone you're getting through that cab may not be what you want. So, finding the flattest response, fullest range speakers to put into that cab would be the best. Otherwise the tone may just be too strange.

If you're happy, that's all that matters.

Back
Top Bottom