speaker powering question...

gatgod77

Hi,i'm looking to buy a Fryette power amp,either 50 watt stereo or 90 watt stereo,
I have a 100 watt Marshall and am downsizing to one of the above,
my cab is a Mesa stilletto with stereo capability,

my query is,can a 50 watt per channel stereo poweramp,like those mentioned previously,run in stereo,into a stereo cab,produce the same sound level as a mono 100 watt head going to the same cab in mono?

If both channels are being driven by identical signals, then yes.

Keep in mind that the difference between 50 watts and 100 watts is only 3 dB. Even a 50-watt tube amp, driven all the way, can produce more volume than you'd want to stand in front of.

No. The 50 watt amp will not sound like the 100/90 watt amps. You will however be able to reach a similar useable volume though it will have very different tone.

The fifty watter will have far less headroom and less overall girth.

even though 3db may seem small, it is a doubling of volume, it takes fifty more watts of tube power to add just 3db.

3 dB is a doubling of power, but it's perceived as a small increase in volume. In takes about a 10-dB increase to be perceived as doubling the volume.

thanx for the feedback! after considering my options and finance's I'm gonna go with the Fryette 2 90 2 \m/
may even try it stereo mode to my stereo cab and put a slight delay,see if I can thicken the tone a little that way,
just an idea,cheers!

Back
Top Bottom