Speaker Popping-Matrix GT1000fx W/ Mesa 4x12

The Raven

Inspired
Hello fellow Axe FX fans,

I've had this issue for a while now, and every time I think I pinpoint the issue and resolve it, it comes back either later in the day or a few days later. Whenever I play my Axe and Matrix through my Mesa 4x12, i get this really loud popping noise (sounds kinda like an insanely louder version of the Matrix's shutdown pop). At first i thought i was just playing too loud/sending too much power to my speakers, so i reduced the volume on the Matrix. After that didn't work, I tried doing the same thing with the Axe, but I still hear the popping every so often. I tried plugging the Axe Fx and Matrix into a different outlet/power strip as well, and for a while, the problem ceased. Recently however, the popping has come back and i have no idea how to resolve this.

I have my Axe Fx connect to the Matrix Via 2 Mogami Gold XLR cables, and the Matrix is connected to the Mesa via 2 Monster Speaker cables (Running the Matrix and Mesa in stereo). Like I said, I haven't the faintest idea as to why this is happening, and I'd appreciate any input/assistance you guys are willing to provide. For all I know, I'm setting stuff up horribly wrong and thats whats causing the issue. I've been wrestling with the Axe->Matrix->Guitar Cab setup for a while now just trying to get the sounds/feel I'd get from my tube amps, but i don't want to give up, as I've heard and seen loads of demonstrations of how awesome this setup can be when done properly. This popping is just driving me a wee bit mad.

Thanks in advance

Don´t know what your issue could be here. However, how I would go at it...

First: is this problem present no matter of what preset in your axe that you´re playing (your own creations AND factory presets)?

Second: check that all cables are OK. Check that all connections are correct with correct type of cables. Check that all cables are having an solid connection. Nothing wrong?
Move on to third step.

Third:
Make a list of all things that are connected: that makes up your rig.
Check how much of this you already own two of and have yourself (or could possibly borrow from a friend) so that they makes all points in your list doubled. That is: 1 guitar => 2 guitars, 1 preamp => 2 preamps, 1 power amp => 2 power amps and so on...

You don´t need to have any exact copies of all YOUR gear. But you need all of them to be separate parts as they are "seen" in your rig. Your axe are seen as "any" preamp by your power amp, meaning that your power amp are basically unable to tell your axe from any other preamp. Thus any other preamp will do, even an guitar/bass amp if it got a preamp out jack (which many amps do). REMEMBER though that if that amp uses tubes it needs an cab being connected before you´re powering it up.

Same with cab, your cab are unable to tell if you´ve connected your power amp or another amp into it (remember to have the same Ohm into the cab though).

As soon as you got something for each point in your list that doubles it, the investigation can begin. You´re about to exchange each and every single thing in your rig to pin point where this problem comes from. In the list you´re recommended to set some markers at certain points to remind you of that power needs to be switched off before exchanging anything (i e speaker cables, preamp + power amp etc), you don´t want to get more stuff potentially damaged because of this investigation (unfortunately easy to do in these situations because we humans often want to fix things quick). In other words: setup an "fool proof" plan of how you´re going to go thru all this.

Begin at the start of your list, confirm that you´ve still got the problem within your rig as it is now. Then exchange the first thing in your list (i e your guitar). Problem still there?

Go to second thing in your list (i e your preamp), exchange that and power all up. Problem still there? Even when switching between both of the lists first thing (i e guitar)?

Continue until you find the problem.

As you probably figured out by now, this may take some time going thru the whole setup. I recommend you to do it, because YOU need to solve or at least pin point the problem. You need to be certain of all aspects of your rig, knowing that all are OK when all is. And you need to know how to figure out things when something is not OK. You can have an friend over to help you out, but IF he/she´s fixing the problem for you. You still need to understand WHAT was done and why (= knowledge). Otherwise, the problem might come back again.

Is your AXE connected to the computer via USB when this happens? Is Axe Edit active? Sometimes, when connected to the computer, depending on your settings for soundcards etc., the computer automatically treats your AXE like a sound card, and your computer could be sending a popping sound through your soundcard, therefore ending up in you mesa cab.

Very simply, you need to determine if it is coming out of the AxeFX or coming out of the amplifier.

As a first step, I would disconnect the input leads from the amplifier, so its just sitting there with power and speaker connected. Turn the volume mid-way and and sit there for a while. If you still get the popping its either the amp, or something coming up the power line.

If no popping, then, it's probably coming out of the AxeFX. Try plugging a pair of headphones in ... can you year the "popping" int he headphones? If not, try headphones into the output 1 jack sockets ... any poppoing there?

You basically need to pin it down to amp or AxeFX and take it from there.

Status Update:

I finally had some time to try some of the suggestions above and here is what I came up with:

The popping was caused by a combination of the usb cable plugged into the back of the Axe FX AND one bad XLR cable. I played for several hours yesterday and the popping ceased completely. If it comes back, I'll make an edit to this post, but for now at least, replacing the bad XLR and unplugging the usb (from the back of the axe not just the computer) has resolved my popping issues for now.

Thanks for your help/input

Back
Top Bottom