Speaker picking up Interference?

JRod4928

Power User
When the speaker is in a specific location in my house, there's a staticy/fuzziness in the low end that is very un-natural. I moved the speaker to a different room and it went away. Should I be concerned that this will happen in a live setting? Or does this kind of stuff happen if the conditions are just right?

It's a JBL PRX612M that I just bought used from GC a few weeks ago. I thought there was something wrong with it, so I took it to GC and they played it for hours and said they couldn't hear anything. They had a JBL tech look at it, and again, nothing was wrong with it.

ThoughtS?

they don't like being near flurescent lights either. try a different outlet with the speaker in the same place were it is getting the interference, could be an electrical problem, I have seen houses many times were the outlets were not all wired with the hot, ground, and neutral wires in the correct place this can cause ground loop issues.

Cell phone didn't seem to affect it. When it had interference, it was on the floor plugged into a wall outlet, within 3 feet from a forced air vent and next to a book case with some books and metal stuff on it, like wedding cake cutters and glasses :) . I also tried plugging it into the power strip (I don't want to call it a power conditioner) on my 4 unit powered gator rack case (which was plugged into a different wall outlet than the 1st test), it still had interference - no change.

When it didn't have interference, it was sitting in a different room - the kitchen on a stone countertop. In both cases, it was plugged into the wall.

Also, it seems to take time to happen.. when I first plug it in, it doesn't seem to have interference right away. After 5 or 10 minutes, it starts and seems to get worse and worse over time.... perhaps some capacitor is being charged and then it starts to act like an antenna?

The following things are notorious for causing bad EMI:

1) Air-conditioning units
2) Wireless routers
3) Dimmer lights

Rule those possibilities out first before going on a EMI-witchhunt. If it's one of those three sources, there's not much you can do about it except changing their location (or yours).

The following things are notorious for causing bad EMI:

1) Air-conditioning units
2) Wireless routers
3) Dimmer lights

Rule those possibilities out first before going on a EMI-witchhunt. If it's one of those three sources, there's not much you can do about it except changing their location (or yours).

I do have a wireless router in the room, and a dimmer light in a room nearby. Central air is about 20' away outside.

The conditions are the same as when I had another monitor in the room, and this interference was never an issue.

Cooling fan noise ?

I've seen your posts before about the cooling fan being loud. I hear it too, it's loud. But this problem isn't the cooling fan, it's an un-even, un-natural, staticy, fuzz that I don't think is associated with the fan.

Back
Top Bottom