Speaker Opinions For A 1x12

OmegaZero

Inspired
My main cab is an oversized 2x12 with v30s, powered by a Matrix GT1000, and usually run in stereo (or wet/dry, but that's a different topic). For what it does, I love it. Over the last year or so I've been drifting from prog rock / metal into more bluesy rock territory though, and for a lot of the things I've been trying lately this cab just doesn't really work. I want to pick up another cab for something different and hopefully some inspiring new sounds. I've settled on an open-back 1x12 (likely a pair of them), but I'm getting hung up on picking a speaker. I thought I might solicit some opinions from the Internet to help make a decision (what could possibly go wrong? :p).

My personal experience has pretty much just been V30s, with the brief exception of a 5153 head that really needed the matching cab to sound right (didn't like that cab with anything else though). I also tried a v30/Greenback combo in my 2x12 at one point, but that didn't really work for me either. In the past V30s always just seemed to work for my style, but I guess I'm moving on a bit. Or maybe I'm just getting old, that could be it too. So what's a good contrast to the v30 that's still versatile enough to match well with lots of different amp models for hard rock / blues rock? I use the Lone Star model a lot lately, so maybe a C90 Black Shadow / Classic Lead 80 is a good place to start? I was also considering the G12H-75 Creamback (or Neo Creamback) for something different but not too different. Thoughts?

I should also mention I've been pretty far down the FRFR road and don't wish to go there again at this point. I'm just looking for speaker suggestions / opinions from folks that have perhaps been in a similar spot with traditional cabs. Thanks in advance.

So was it a stupid question, or did I ask it in a stupid way? ;)

Weber's Blue Dog 12 is a nice Vox Blue variation, and works with a lot if different styles and amps....
I'll definitely check that out. In the past I haven't typically liked the Vox thing - the high end always came off a bit harsh. With as much as my taste has been changing though I should definitely revisit that.

Back
Top Bottom