Speaker Monitor or FOH speaker

Javid

Inspired
What is best deal for 8 inch speaker monitor, and FOH speaker? What is the difference between speaker Monitor and FOH speaker?

Hey, do you mean studio monitor, instead of speaker monitor?

If so, studio monitors are designed for use in studios, where you might sit close to them and not really move them around much.

Foh speakers are more suited to fill a room and may have things like pole mounts, handles or cases

Perhaps you can give an idea of where you want to use your speakers, you'll get some better suggestions.

The best Deal for me? Dxr8 from Yamaha. Will it work for you? I have no idea, need more info

No I just thought it is cheaper, do you have any other suggestion. By the way on the DXR8 has Monitor/FOH and off switch what is difference.

No I just thought it is cheaper, do you have any other suggestion. By the way on the DXR8 has Monitor/FOH and off switch what is difference.
I think the monitor switch is when you have it on the ground facing up at you. It might also help vocals cut though the mix.

By the way on the DXR8 has Monitor/FOH and off switch what is difference.
The manual is your friend:

The Yamaha DXR8 Manual said:
D-CONTOUR switch (DXR series) Selects one of the D-CONTOUR (Dynamic CONTOUR) presets. The FOH/MAIN setting will boost the high and low frequency components so that the frequency response will become suitable for a main speaker. The MONITOR setting also suppresses the low range, which could otherwise tend to be boomy if the speaker is set directly on the floor or used along with a main speaker. With the FOH/MAIN or MONITOR setting, the D-CONTOUR function is enabled and controls the boost and attenuation amounts dynamically in relation to the sound volume. When this switch is set to OFF, a generic frequency response setting will be used and the D-CONTOUR function will be turned off.

Thanks a lot Callan and Rex for your help. What do think about JBL EON610 it has Bluetooth? and what are your suggestions.

Thanks a lot Callan and Rex for your help. What do think about JBL EON610 it has Bluetooth? and what are your suggestions.
I've messed with EONs in the past and found them a bit strident. Never tried the 610.

Right now I have FX II XL, Matrix GT1600 power amp and pair of Matrix FR212 passive speaker. I am looking for better speaker to use it as a monitor or FOH, what is your suggestion for the best.

Probably a JBL PRX835 would be best for FOH. Something like an Atomic CLR or XiTone wedge would be best for a monitor. An EV ETX-12p would do both pretty well.
It depends on your budget and volume requirements.

Probably a JBL PRX835 would be best for FOH. Something like an Atomic CLR or XiTone wedge would be best for a monitor. An EV ETX-12p would do both pretty well.

CLRs are fantastic FOH speakers. We always get compliments about the sound when using them as such. Of course a separate sub is needed when amplifying loud bass and drums.

Hey @Javid, when you run FOH, what do you expect to put through them?
Guitars, maybe vocal, what else? keyboards? bass guitar, any drums? backing tracks?

For FOH in small-med venues, I would look at DSR112's + subs if you need them (2-4 of PRX/SRX 18"s or DXS18, depending on venue size)
This would be a pretty decent system for up to around 300-400 people.
But of course, now you have to move it around and power it all up.
And you might need somebody to run it out the front? Big commitment of $$ too.

But really we need to know where you are using the speakers as FOH to make any recommendations.

CLRs are fantastic FOH speakers. We always get compliments about the sound when using them as such. Of course a separate sub is needed when amplifying loud bass and drums.
Not knocking the CLR as an FOH speaker for sure! I do think the PRX835 is better than it in that capacity though. Mostly because the coverage patern is more focused vertically, it's louder and you can run it without a sub.

Thank you all for your help. what is the best way to play guitar along with songs or backing tracks? Do I need to use headphone? Since when I play with the songs I have problem either to hear the songs or my guitar.

Last edited:
You have a number of options for play back of songs while playing. You could get two monitors (regardless of which you decide) and a small mixer. You can connect your music playback device (phone, ipad, etc) to the mixer and feed that to one of your monitors and the signal from your axefx rig to the other speaker, alternatively you can basically use any music playback source (boom box, home stereo) whatever as long as its volume can compete with how loud your axefx rig is going. For my setup I have a set of Presonus Eris 8 Studio monitors connected to a small mixer and floor monitors connected to the mixer and my backing tracks (via ipad) go through the studio monitors and my AX8 feeds in stereo to my floor monitors works beautifully.

Thank you all for your help. what is the best way to play guitar along with songs or backing tracks? Do I need to use headphone? Since when I play with the songs I have problem either to hear the songs or my guitar.
A small mixer is ideal for this. Just twist a knob to adjust the level of your guitar or your backing track. My current avatar is an example.

Back
Top Bottom