Speaker IR's, Reverb Settings and Food For Thought

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
**This is 100% subjective opinion presented as 100% subjective opinion. I am NOT any sort of expert on this subject; I am just discussing MY opinion as such. YMMV!**

I've been on a mission my whole playing life to find the perfect tones. I've been a gear hound since I was a kid. I am unabashedly focused on my tone quest along with creating and performing music. I started playing at 12 years old; I'm 42 now.

Once I got the Axe-FX, I heard the top end of the actual tone sound like the best tones I've ever heard. The science behind it is more understandable to me know; but in the end what matters is the way the tone is shaped by the tools at hand.

In my Axe-FX journey, and it is a journey, many of the epiphanies and added colors from Cliff's persistent and focused development have only made the tools at hand even more powerful and allowed us - the end user - to take the 'blank palette' and create our own soundscapes. Be it as a preamp with the cab/power-amp blocks off; be it FRFR as an all-in-one direct to FOH solution.

I came into the box in late spring/early summer 2007 at version 3.xx firmware; there was no Ultra at that point. I waited 4 months to pay a lot of money for something I was essentially buying on faith and at that point we had a 30 day trial. I knew in the first 20 minutes that this thing was THE thing for me.

I was in the chorus begging for the Royer 121 mic and a 'none' mic setting; and we got it. When Cliff opened up the User Cab capability I KNEW in my heart that at some point moving forward it would become a very powerful part of the toolbox to craft end tones especially for the FRFR guys.

The IR's 'out there' and collected, shared and discussed to great lengths here and elsewhere were just the beginning. Recabinet and then Red Wire gave us power like we have in well outfitted studios to choose our speaker cab, choose our mic, choose the position and now with Red Wire's Mixer... create high resolution cabs for the AxeFX that can combine different mixes of IR's and only take up ONE user slot of the 10 we have to use in the Axe-FX.

Now I've gone on and on (and on and on...) about that; and posted findings here and elsewhere almost in realtime at the front end of those abilities being available. Some folks assumed that somehow the stock IR's in the Axe-Fx are substandard; or at least that somehow that I felt that way. That's never been the case, but assumptions are assumptions.

I started mixing Cab IR's in my DAW (thanks again to Mike from Red Wire sharing a Reaper file and directions, I'd have never figured it out on my own) and you can basically do mixing on the fly, in real time with FAR more efficiency than you can attempt even in a studio. When I did this, I was using the amp/cab blocks ONLY.

I've done so many mixes of cab IR's at so many different IR's that I can't even track them. Hundreds. I've mixed all sorts of near field/far field, etc.. I wanted, or was attempting, to create 'space' - depth AND width - to a focused tone that you could close your eyes and 'see' in a stereo field. I got pretty close to that and there are threads spelling out what/how I did it.

But when I ran these things live, in the room with the band, on the gig... they were washed. They did sound and work great; but it wasn't 'right'. In looking at it in retrospect, I was depending too much on using FF in my cab mixes and NOT enough focusing on the actual room. When I presented the sound live, I was dropping reverb at least back on and just rolling with the default settings there... and it was washing out. I have never been a reverb expert and didn't comprehend what was happening. So I turned it off and the sound was better... but lacked any 'body' to carry the tone. It sounded not 'right'.

Reverb is the space. That's what reverb IS, a recreation of SPACE. Recent threads pointed out a few things that Cliff, again, dropped in to not much fanfare but from power user guys that understood what he did. I sure did not. Messing with the pre-delay and the 'long delay' suddenly, for the first time in my life, made reverb sound/feel RIGHT.

That set me up for one of those little personal epiphanies that we all have. I went back to the tried and true method of just mixing a Royer 121 and a SM57 (off axis) on the speaker and dropping the reverb in wetter than I had in the past.... 6% (I've almost always went with 2% wet) and followed advice from guys that GET these things and it started really working better live.

Now here's the kicker and the food for thought. I started messing, because I could, with the stock IR's from the Axe-FX. I set up a parallel path with two cab blocks both running high resolution mono cabs with the stock IR's mixed in too.

And there it is. I've not touched anything in the cab or reverb block for about a week and have been recording and did a rehearsal and a gig with it setup this way. Now, this feels and sounds right to me. It's cutting live, it's fitting the mix recording, it's just feeling 'right'.

Here's a YouTube demo of a Rivera amp with 15 different speakers. Notice the mic setup when watching; and notice how DIFFERENT each speaker really does make it sound. Every different IR will likewise capture the cab/mic used in such a manner. The IR's you use are your cab. If you use the User IR slots, you can control not only the cab and mic, you can control the POSITION of the mic and have a far larger variety of choices to use no matter what the source.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7t ... _embedded#

Here's a solo'd track from a demo song that I posted here in the recording section. This is a bit dry for this demonstration, but you'll hear it... I think. What you are hearing is my Melancon Custom Artist T on the neck WCR SR single coil (excuse the hum!) and my JCM800 preset/Cab is RedWirez G12M Royer 121/Cap with SM57 Off-axis Cab edge at -6db, in parallel with Stock "BritCab412" with the Royer 121 mic at -12db, with the rotary and reverb blocks in the signal chain.

The reverb is a medium room with the pre-delay at 39ms and the tail at 150ms at 6% wet.

Disregard the playing (really!) and focus on the image presented when you listen with your eyes closed in the stereo field. The Rotary obscures this, but it's interesting to hear:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8500356

Now here's another solo'd track from the same demo without any effects; same guitar/pickups; just my Fender Deluxe amp block, Cab block (Red Wire on Deluxe Blues speaker, and the 212Tweed/Royer 121 from the Axe-FX) at the same -6/-12db mix ratio and some reverb (I run 1/2% spring with zero pre-delay ms and zero long tail in series with a 2% medium room with the same settings from above) so you can contrast. Not very wet to hear it THAT well, but you'll get the picture.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8500370

***NOTE - those are all scratch tracks, one take passes. Yes I will be recutting them for real without all the biffs and clams!!!***

Fun stuff. Applying these things to making music is EVEN more fun.

And that's what I dig about this community for all the knocks this forum takes across the Net; sharing experiences and learning from each other to make better tones and hence, better music!

Hi Scott,
great sound. Interesting approach. A lot of work I guess. :roll:
I wonder how you get this managed timewise. And where do you get your energy from ... :shock:

It's hard to keep track on trying your advises. But I will. ;)

Did you mix the stock cabs in with the IR-mixer (sounds like that)?
Eqing on the stock cabs?
I too noticed, that the stock cabs don't sound worse but different. It's a matter of taste and choice (which is getting harder with all the new possibilities :oops: :lol: )

Keep on rocking. :twisted:
And share your epiphanies and thoughts. ;)

Micha

No EQ on anything really outside of the controls in the blocks. No added EQ or PEQ at all for me right now.

The journey isn't as important (I'm obsessive and freely admit it) but the thing is the knowledge gained.

Scott
I have been lurking and reading this forum for 8 or 9 months, got my Ultra in August. I have read some of the other forums talking about this one, and the criticism of you and others. I am continually blown away with the contributions and considerable time spent on freely helping others by you, Jay, Java, and many others. You have bent over backwards to remain up front, transparent, and always allowing for differing opinions. PLEASE don't listen to those detractors, and know that you are appreciated in these quarters by many. Of course, Cliff deserves all the credit for setting up this business model and surrounding himself with quality folks and the standards for this forum.
Don't mean to get all gushy, but I thought you might need to hear it once in a while. Just my $.02. Thanks.

Another great post Scott, thanks for sharing :)

I have been using your Marshall Mix IR with the built-in V30 4x12 in different mixes for the last 3 or 4 weeks now as I was having similar problems as you describe here, it really sounds good for me. I am mixing the V30 lower than the mixed cab but it just adds a little in your face presence for me and help cut in a mix.

Combining this with some of the reverb advice that Radley shared with us in the main area and I am yet again happier with my tone than I ever have been!

Thanks

Spencer

xpenno said:
Another great post Scott, thanks for sharing :)

I have been using your Marshall Mix IR with the built-in V30 4x12 in different mixes for the last 3 or 4 weeks now as I was having similar problems as you describe here, it really sounds good for me. I am mixing the V30 lower than the mixed cab but it just adds a little in your face presence for me and help cut in a mix.

Combining this with some of the reverb advice that Radley shared with us in the main area and I am yet again happier with my tone than I ever have been!

Thanks

Spencer

Which is essentially my entire post in a few paragraphs. :D

Scott,
Funny- I've also run into a washout with some of the cabs i mixed, sounded great in my studio- but couldn't hang in a band mix. I have gone back to my orig. royer mix using redwirez which cuts a bit better than the FF.
I'm with you on the reverb settings. I've not used reverb in my signal path for quite some time. But i started digging in given some of the recent discussion and applied some of the suggestions. The reverb block is a powerful tool which will reveal itself with some time invested in it. I learn something every time i sit down and work with the axefx, what an incredible tool.
I look forward hearing what you come up with.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Scott as I'm still getting my FRFR sounds together and it helps a lot to hear other peoples approaches and works in progress since the cab sims are the 'last mile' for going the FRFR route.

It's interesting to note everyones thoughts on tweaking at home and getting a great sound and how they translate with a band/gig...again, taking the time to tweak and share results is appreciated.

So with the guys getting Mike to rocking scooping mids out on the Red Wire IR's to work with metal tones.... I had a brainstorm today at work.

Here's the concept:

Mike from Red Wire is working with a few members there making 'metal' version of the IR's. How? He's adding EQ to the IR's. (*Well, he's actually scooping existing IR's by scooping mids out). Guys there are LOVING the results.

With mixing your IR's in a DAW (Reaper files that Mike from Red Wire shared for free) I've been mixing and creating my own IR's. It's like a fun factory. You create the IR in real time with a direct recording (with the cab block in the Axe-FX turned off) by just listening and trying stuff on the fly. It's uber fun and cool. :D

So drop some EQ or.... whatever across the master before you create the IR. Hadn't tried it.
Here's my brainstorm - why stop at EQ? Aha!

So I promptly mixed up my fave formula in the DAW:

0db Royer 121 Center Cap 2"
-3db TAB-Funkewerk SM57 2" Off-Axis Cap Edge
-6db Royer 121 Cone 4"
-12db Back of Cab (Different mic's available, different distances.)

So that really sounds great by itself. Now, the kicker here was that I have two UAD cards and a bunch of tools that I use when I mix or record for real (not just clips). I tried a bunch of different plugs, order of plugs and messed around and around till I found something that really made my toes curl.

Across the master, I set up a chain that was as so:

UAD Pultec Pro -- UAD Cambridge EQ -- UAD Neve 1073

Then I used some of the settings I prefer as go-to setups and lo and behold, it was good. Really good.

So I redid my cabinet IR's; processed them with AlbertA's utility; then dropped them in the Axe-FX and redid my signal path's to one high resolution cabinet again.

And damn, it sounds fine. Now I have to do some clips, because well, I have to. I don't want to get to far hyped up - I've gotten hyped up before I gave other things the acid test of trying them live first - but this is remarkable.

So... I guess later tonight, I'll have some clips at least. :D

Quick off the cuff clip.

I need to acid test these for real, but in the room LOUD they sound really good for what I'm going for.

Fender Deluxe and then Marshall JCM800 (and some STP goodness there). :D Melancon Custom Artist T direct to Axe-FX; Amp/Cab/Reverb signal chain; digital out to Reaper. Ripped to mp3. Posted here:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8511063

Listen to the top end, bottom end and close your eyes and picture the tone; to me... pretty much what I want. Maybe some tweaks, but I'd like to test this live. We'll see how it sounds to me tomorrow. :D I might hate it and start over from scratch... we'll see.

Hi Scott,

Not sure if I understand your new approach completely, so I just what to make sure I get it right:

I just started mixing my own IRs using the RedWirez a couple of weeks ago, and so far have gotten satisfying results with two mics close-up on the cone (approx. 40% mix), two room-mics (L+R, approx 40% mix), and a "backofcab" (approx 10% mix). As far as I understand, this is basically what you also have done with good results recently.

My question is, are you now dropping the room-mics ("FF") completely from your IR-mixes, and relying entirely on "close-mics-only" + reverb-block instead?

I'm going to do a new thread. :D

Right now, I am doing a mix of a Royer (2-4" on the cap), SM57 (2-4" cap edge) and something for back of the cab (whatever works). Then I apply a parametric EQ and mix it up. There is no exact 'one size fits all formula' to share though. Some speakers/cabs require more or less of this or that; I just use my ear. I then use reverb with the suggested settings to place it in 'space' and there you have it. First gig with that approach, which honestly is very traditional and one I've sort of been using before all the FF hub-bub, but with much better results now.

The newer suggested reverb settings have superseded, IMHO, the whole FF thing. The IR's you mix up with a lot of FF in them always sound fantastic by themselves... but what I've found time and time again is that they washout in the mix with a band. That didn't make sense to me, but was what I was hearing listening as I played time and time again.

With a more 'traditional' approach - a few IR's for the proper tone balance, corrected with some PEQ - and then using reverb... well, as reverb... the end result is just better in every way.

I'm waiting till I have everything locked down 100% sure before I open my trap again in detail though. :D

Back
Top Bottom