Speaker impedance curves: Which speakers?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
I have to admit, it's a bit confusing trying to match the new speaker impedance curves, to a cab and speaker combo that's close to the IR I'm using. I know Cliff already commented on the Recto curves, but I would very much like to know what speakers are in the different 4x12s. Primarily looking for Marshall sized V30 cabs, but there isn't one clearly labelled in the curve names.

I know this has been said over and over and has turned into a cliche that I don’t like at all but here it is..

Use your ears and use the one that sounds the best. I get that you want to be “authentic” but try a few of them and see which one works best for you. You might be surprised that it might not be the one normally associated with the amp/cab combo.

We live in GREAT gear times, bros !

I would very much like to know what speakers are in the different 4x12s

Me too, that's paramount to know if your looking for authenticity. Know why a Gibson Les Paul and a Marshall sound so good together? The Marshall was designed and tuned using a Les Paul. Need to know greenback/redback/silverback/blackjack. At the least there needs to be speaker type designation in the name field somewhere

Me too, that's paramount to know if your looking for authenticity. Know why a Gibson Les Paul and a Marshall sound so good together? The Marshall was designed and tuned using a Les Paul. Need to know greenback/redback/silverback/blackjack. At the least there needs to be speaker type designation in the name field somewhere
Absolutely! A little V30, T75 12M etc after the curve name would help immensely.

The speaker used doesn't matter in any way. As I understand it and reducing it to the simplest form, the speaker impedance curve is just adding the resonance of the box. No tone from a speaker is heard.

Reactions: RDH
It's my understanding that the 'default' curve matches the cab.......am I wrong?
The default curve is for a suitable cab that might be paired with the amp in question. The curves are not linked to the cab block automatically. You have to select the desired curve yourself.

The speaker used doesn't matter in any way. As I understand it and reducing it to the simplest form, the speaker impedance curve is just adding the resonance of the box. No tone from a speaker is heard.

The speaker model/design can affect the impedance curve (due to windings/magnet etc), as does the cabinet and speaker arrangement (e.g. 1x10 vs. 4x12).

No tone from a speaker is heard.

True, except as an interaction with the amp which does affect "tone". It is most easily observed by taking any amp, turning neg feedback to 0 and sweeping the speaker LF resonance freq.

huh, yeah! Just imagine how great that Hendrix dude would have sounded, had he just played a Les Paul

the speaker impedance curve is just adding the resonance of the box.

It's the resonance of the box combined with the EQ curve of whatever speaker was in it when they measured it. The 1960A with G12T-75s curve compared to a 1960BV with V30s curve compared to a 1960 TV (or whatever) with greenbacks is night and day, same box size for all of em...

oh jeez it's sensitive in here...all I was saying about matching up gear (speaker cab selection to IR) is that when you get it right it's an immediate "ohhhhhh there it is" vs randomly scrolling through them all...knowing what speaker is in what cab selection is a pretty big chunk of info, all the IRs tell you exactly what speaker was used, that way you'd be able to match it up 1:1 right quick and get the :openmouth:

You know how else it is that I know power amp output EQ is variable and connected to MV? If you took those cab measurements at low volume, the cab acoustic nodes are weaker, and that acoustic reinforcement doesn't show up much at the power amp...the louder it gets, the more the acoustic nodes interact with the power amp. Cha cha cha changin the output EQ...from power amp impedance interaction...an especially pronounced effect in amps without negative feedback...

Last edited:
Trying to pick fly sh**t out of the pepper to my opinion. The change in your ears in 10 minutes will make far more difference than any of those variables, and 10 minutes after that different yet! Especially in any mix. Just saying

Trying to pick fly sh**t out of the pepper to my opinion. The change in your ears in 10 minutes will make far more difference than any of those variables, and 10 minutes after that different yet! Especially in any mix. Just saying
Yeah, but the changes gotta be authentically different! Gagging at a gnat for sure.

Reactions: RDH
Back
Top Bottom