Speaker Efficiency in IR's?

AndyOrr

Experienced
BITD, I tended to swap out my speakers pretty often (largely based on my attraction to nothing more than that company's ad copy, I suppose). One of the first things I always noticed after the swap was how much the speaker selection affected the amplifier's volume and the level at which I could achieve some break-up. I haven't noticed this same phenomena when selecting the various stock cab blocks in the Axe.

Is speaker efficiency taken in to consideration when the IR's are recorded?

Is there any difference in the aftermarket IR's?

Are there any stock cabs that break up earlier or stay cleaner longer?

No. With real speakers, you can have differences of up to 6db in sensitivity, which is the same as going from 25w to a 100w amp. IR is just data of the speaker's tone, not volume, and they are normalized to the same volume. And there's no distortion changes in the IR if you change levels.

BITD, I tended to swap out my speakers pretty often (largely based on my attraction to nothing more than that company's ad copy, I suppose). One of the first things I always noticed after the swap was how much the speaker selection affected the amplifier's volume and the level at which I could achieve some break-up. I haven't noticed this same phenomena when selecting the various stock cab blocks in the Axe.

Is speaker efficiency taken in to consideration when the IR's are recorded?

Is there any difference in the aftermarket IR's?

Are there any stock cabs that break up earlier or stay cleaner longer?

There are parameters in the CAB block that would add non-linear things but the SPKR page of the AMP block is where this type of thing is modeled.

If you want to play with break up on speakers add motor drive in the cab block .

Back
Top Bottom