Speaker drive with power amp and cab?

Hello!

Don't post here often, but visit to read info most days and have done so since purchasing my Axe FX2 several years ago.

I've really enjoyed using the speaker drive parameter since the recent FW revision by Cliff (where it was added to the amp block). I've had varying results with different models, but generally positive when using through IRs and studio monitors.

However, when flicking cab sims off and using with my matrix power amp and orange 2x12 I'm not sure if this is having a positive effect on my tone?

I believe speaker drive is emulating the heat change in a virtual speaker, so logically it doesn't seem to make sense to have it on when using a real cab - however isn't there there a technical right/wrong anwer here?

I like to use my ears, and I like it on or off with a real cab, depending on other factors. Just intrigued to know others experience/views?

Cheers!

Thanks chaps - had a feeling that may be the case. Using a small amount (1.0-2.0) on cleans and smooth leads actually yielded some pleasant results by adding some compression and squish. It flubs out the bass a little which doesn't work as well for tight rhythm work though.

I've never been able to get the same response by using the compressor block or comp parameters within the amp block.

Back
Top Bottom