Wish speaker drive connected to master volume

Heavyplayer

Experienced
So I got to thinking about how we now have measured speaker impedance, how cool it would be to implement speaker drive to correspond with the amp volume/speaker breakup? Probably a lot of work, but just a thought.

Sure we can use our ears etc, but the whole point is to have the amp models to react the same as the real thing. Adjusting to taste is great and all, but for those of us who dont know it would be great not to guess. So my idea would be as the amp volume goes up and which ever speaker in use the speaker drive would go up accordingly to that speaker as its being pushed. Of course this would mean measure common speakers and their breakup point. Make sense or am I clueless? :)

:cool:
And so I will: Speaker Drive and MV are NOT connected. It’s perfectly possible to crank MV and have no speaker distortion at all.
And as Rex has already stated: you really do NOT want to have a “distorted” speaker.

P.S. Proudly.

I agree speaker distortion isn't desirable, it's not too much different then any other speaker being cranked and distorting. They sound like shit.
However, some speakers with slight distortion or breakup are desired, for different genre. And I'm going back to my original thought. Whether its related to the speaker drive or not, I just thought it might be cool.

I agree speaker distortion isn't desirable, it's not too much different then any other speaker being cranked and distorting. They sound like shit.
However, some speakers with slight distortion or breakup are desired, for different genre. And I'm going back to my original thought. Whether its related to the speaker drive or not, I just thought it might be cool.
yup and just increase the Speaker Drive as needed for those "sometimes" situations :) your idea is cool, but might not be desirable most of the time, so for the some of the time, we have the separate speaker drive available.

Speaker Drive and MV are NOT connected. It’s perfectly possible to crank MV and have no speaker distortion at all.

True. The Blocks Guide says:

Speaker Drive – This simulates distortion and gentle compression caused by pushing a speaker too far. It interacts with the Master which determines how hard the actual power amp is pushing. Don’t overlook this when striving for “vintage” tones as it helps make edge-of-breakup tones sound like an old, well-played amp.
So MV is independent of speaker drive. BUT speaker drive is dependent on MV when drive > 0.

Since Speaker Drive is connected to MV, this wish appears already implemented (with a "speaker drive" dial), minus the automatic part.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom