Speaker Drive and Thump appreciation thread!

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
I'm really digging the new Speaker Drive and Thump parameters.

I like a bit of Drive dialed in but am really loving Thump (even cranked to 10) on low to mid gain amps. It makes playing and digging in feel subtly smooth, creamy and organic. An analogy might be that these are like a kind of blur/soften filter applied to a contrasty image.

If you're enjoying one or both of these parameters, post your love, observations, favorite settings!

Additional info (wiki)
SPEAKER DRIVE - "The default value is 2.0 which gives roughly 1 dB of compression."
SPEAKER THUMP - "The reset value is a conservative 2.5 which represents, i.e., a 50W amp running into a 100W speaker."
SPEAKER BREAKUP - Default appears to be MEDIUM

CC NOTES: "Excessive values of either parameter can "destroy" the virtual voice coil. Don't turn things up that high."

Last edited:
I'm really digging the new Speaker Drive and Thump parameters. I like a bit of Drive dialed in but am really loving Thump (even cranked to 10) on low to mid gain amps. It makes playing and digging in feel subtly smooth, creamy and organic. An analogy might be that these are like a kind of blur/soften filter applied to a contrasty image.

If you're enjoying one or both of these parameters, post your love, observations, favorite settings...
Agree! Also on high gain tones as it’s rounding off some of the very top end making it sounding more “analogue” and broken in. Simply amazing stuff!

Speaker Thump Rulz!

@FractalAudio is this modeling an actual measurable speaker phenomenon or is it a pure CC invention?
Speaker Thump models the dynamic, nonlinear behavior of a guitar speaker. A value of 5.0 roughly corresponds to an amplifier running into a speaker rated at the same power as the amplifier, i.e., a 100W amplifier running into a 100W speaker.
I've been finding that calculating the speaker thump value and then adjusting slightly from there works best for me.

Speaker wattage/Amp wattage = x
x*5 = Speaker Thump

Not 100% sure this is correct but it sounds right.

Edit: Other way around - Amp wattage/Speaker Wattage = x

Last edited:
I just upgraded my FM9 yesterday which has these new parameters/algorithms and I was instantly taken with them. The Speaker Thump is already a favorite control. I'm sure to be writing up some further thoughts here as I explore all of the new speaker additions/improvements thoroughly in the next few days. Great stuff here for sure.

Speaker Thump was a revelation after analyzing the Volterra kernels of guitar speakers driven near their power limits. I can't really say much more than that without giving away proprietary information.

For me it's a must when using FRFR. It evokes that feeling of standing in front of a cranked 4x12.

Speaker Thump was a revelation after analyzing the Volterra kernels of guitar speakers driven near their power limits. I can't really say much more than that without giving away proprietary information.

For me it's a must when using FRFR. It evokes that feeling of standing in front of a cranked 4x12.
I've been playing around with it using a PS100 and Mesa 4x12. Is this not the correct use of thump (i.e. only when using a cab block)?

I've been playing around with it using a PS100 and Mesa 4x12. Is this not the correct use of thump (i.e. only when using a cab block)?
There is no right or wrong. If it sounds good it is good. A real guitar cab will creates it's own thump AT HIGH VOLUMES. If you are playing at low volumes you can use Speaker Thump to simulate the high volume behavior.

I haven’t tried Speaker Thump with any heavy tones yet, but I’m loving what it does to the so-called Class A amps. To me it seems like the impact is actually higher pitched, meaning more in the guitar range in a mix, on palm muted lower notes. The effect is you can hear it in a mix without the boomy-ness.

What I notice with speaker thump is that it adds weight to the higher notes of the guitar. I have always been a huge Fractal fan. I have been gigging with Fractal modelers since 2013 or so. I always found there was always a thinness in the sound when you play higher notes. I could never seem to dial it out and it was never a big problem, so I just looked past it. When I turned the thump parameter to about 1.5 or so the thinness is gone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom