Speaker Drive and Motor Drive

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
I recently discovered the nice effect this parameters have on the sound, they make it more alive and realistic IMHO. The right amount of speaker drive makes you feel the breakup of the speaker while motor drive adds a nice compression.
I already found very good settings by ear so the following question is just out of curiosity, it hasn't been talked very much of these controls.

Is there a direct correlation between these parameters and real world specs of amps/speakers?
For example, is speaker drive value a ratio of amp's RMS power and speaker watt handling?
Or in the case of motor drive, we can expect a given value to simulate X watts going into a Y diameter voice coil?

Also I'd like to know if you guys use them and how you set them

I completely forgot about the existence of speaker drive until just now, so thank you XD
I'm liking it set around 3.
I mess with motor drive fairly often though, and I usually set it somewhere between 2 and 4.
As you say, they really make things sound a feel slightly more realistic.

You're welcome! :)
That's where I usually set speaker drive too, but on some patches I went as high as 5.
Istead I prefer to set motor drive lower than that, usually 2 is my upper limit. I've tried higher values but when playing with the band I feel I lose too much dynamic range.

It really seems strange to me that these two parameters don't get discussed so much when many here are chasing for the authenticity of tone.

I've actually found the opposite. Speaker drive on the cab page seems to add compression, and bring up the background hiss of the amp. And motor drive found on the speaker page of the amp block seems to induce speaker farting if turned up to high. I almost always run speaker drive anywhere from 2-3. I really like the compression it adds.

It's not the opposite though, I think you've confused the names :D
Speaker drive is in the amp block, motor drive is in the cab block

It's not the opposite though, I think you've confused the names :D
Speaker drive is in the amp block, motor drive is in the cab block
Very possible, lol that's what happens when I post before the morning coffee has set in!

When you are saying Speaker Drive in the Cab block, are you talking about the Preamp page, where there is also Saturation and Bass, Mid, Treble?

If so, I think that would not really be called Speaker Drive... Because it's simulating drive on a mix desk channel strip / mic preamp.

Motor drive is sweet!
I always use it.
Pair that with some pre-amp drive and you have a nice even saturated sound.

Back
Top Bottom