Speaker Compression volume compensation?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So, I've mostly not used Speaker Compression with the Axe Fx II, but since getting the Axe Fx III I decided it's time to put a little effort into revisiting some of my usual setup (IR choice, effect settings, etc).

My primary presets have been built around a clean-ish Amp using Drive blocks to achieve dirty and lead sounds.

My current main (only!) preset on the Axe Fx III is using the Cameron CCV 1A set somewhat dark with either the SDD or FET Boost always on as a pre EQ and slight boost for the "base" tone and adding in the ACB (before the boost drive) for leads or the Rat for dirty rhythms.

Yesterday, I was dialing in Speaker Compression and found that I like it somewhere between 3-5...

BUT when I kick in the ACB or the Rat, the amount of compression from this setting is higher, resulting in a lower overall volume.

I want to compensate for that volume do, but I know that Speaker Compression is tied to how hard the power amp is working. So, if I increase the Level of the Drive block, not only will it add (unwanted) gain to my amp, it will also likely result in more compression and volume drop.

For the moment, I ended up sticking a Null filter after the Amp block with about 1.5dB of boost and set it to be on in all the scenes where the additional Drive is on. This seems to work ok, but feels like something I shouldn't need to do.

Long winded post to ask the question: how do you compensate for volume loss due to Speaker Compression?

So, I've mostly not used Speaker Compression with the Axe Fx II, but since getting the Axe Fx III I decided it's time to put a little effort into revisiting some of my usual setup (IR choice, effect settings, etc).

My primary presets have been built around a clean-ish Amp using Drive blocks to achieve dirty and lead sounds.

My current main (only!) preset on the Axe Fx III is using the Cameron CCV 1A set somewhat dark with either the SDD or FET Boost always on as a pre EQ and slight boost for the "base" tone and adding in the ACB (before the boost drive) for leads or the Rat for dirty rhythms.

Yesterday, I was dialing in Speaker Compression and found that I like it somewhere between 3-5...

BUT when I kick in the ACB or the Rat, the amount of compression from this setting is higher, resulting in a lower overall volume.

I want to compensate for that volume do, but I know that Speaker Compression is tied to how hard the power amp is working. So, if I increase the Level of the Drive block, not only will it add (unwanted) gain to my amp, it will also likely result in more compression and volume drop.

For the moment, I ended up sticking a Null filter after the Amp block with about 1.5dB of boost and set it to be on in all the scenes where the additional Drive is on. This seems to work ok, but feels like something I shouldn't need to do.

Long winded post to ask the question: how do you compensate for volume loss due to Speaker Compression?
I see what you're saying here. I tend to use amps with the amount of gain I am looking for, and then back my guitar volume off to go low gain, or use a separate amp for clean, so I just use the amps level to compensate for the volume loss. But I can see how if you are using a "pedal setup" it could become a PITA since you can't keep changing the main level of the block itself every time you engage or disengage a pedal that changes the input signal.

Do you have the speaker time constant cranked up really high? It shouldn't really lower the over all volume, just squish the attack, at least that's what I'm getting. I keep my time constant around 75.

Do you have the speaker time constant cranked up really high? It shouldn't really lower the over all volume, just squish the attack, at least that's what I'm getting. I keep my time constant around 75.
Nope... Set at 100.

And you are, right, but when are shaving a couple DB off the attack of every note in a solo, then you're a lot quieter :)

Nope... Set at 100.

And you are, right, but when are shaving a couple DB off the attack of every note in a solo, then you're a lot quieter :)
Understood, what helps if you haven’t already, crank the compression up really high to where you can hear it clearly, then play with the time constant to get the squish just right, then back the compression back down. The default 100 felt a bit slow to me

Understood, what helps if you haven’t already, crank the compression up really high to where you can hear it clearly, then play with the time constant to get the squish just right, then back the compression back down. The default 100 felt a bit slow to me
The default is actually 200... But I'll give your idea a try.

Back
Top Bottom