Speaker Compression for clean amps (Nope, OP doesn't understand thermal compression)

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
AFAIK, in the current amp block speaker compression gradually kicks in only when an amp moves into OD/saturation (e.g. reduced headroom). This means that clean amps models/settings with lots of headroom don't get the benefit of much speaker compression even if the parameter is turned up to 10. I believe this is by design, however, I'd like...

WISH: A dial to be able to have clean amps have speaker compression response similar to overdriven amps. This might be akin to a virtual speaker current multiplier or offset to get the coil into saturation [but I'm talking out my ignorant butt.. I have confidence Cliff could devise something]. :)

Last edited:
Speaker compression comes from driving the speaker hard. It’s independent of the kind of signal it’s receiving — it’s all about how much signal it’s receiving. Clean or dirty signal, it’s all the same.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong and am open to suggestions.

But as far as I can tell, there seems to be no way to get speaker compression going sufficiently for very clean amps (even with speaker comp=10) because speaker compression seems inversely correlated with headroom (or when the amp compresses so does the speaker). Yes, if I turn Drive / MV up, the headroom reduces (amp moves into overdrive) and then there is speaker compression but it's not clean anymore (and has different tonal characteristics).

My wish is to be able to dial in Speaker Compression when there is a lot of headroom, thus simulating a loud clean amp pounding the speaker.

A loud clean amp pounding the speaker is still going to have a higher master volume though. Set a twin on 5 - it'll be clean with maybe a touch of breakup, but a lot more compression versus set at 2.

You can also increase the master volume trim and reduce the amp output level to get the speaker compression to kick in.

+1 - with the ability to pair relatively high-powered amps with low-powered speakers, speaker compression is achievable at fairly low MV settings, due to the amp overpowering the speaker.

IRL, this usually results in compression and eventually smoke, but in the digital realm, the smoke is not modeled.... :)

Reactions: Rex
Right @Joe Bfstplk. While turning up MV/MV trim might get amp closer to saturation and thus speaker compression, it can also change gain structure and tone.

What I would like simulated is something like a "clean signal boost" (dial-able) after the power amp and before the amp virtual speaker so that it effectively sees a louder amp (more current), even if it the amp is not yet saturating.

Last edited:
What you want is not possible because you don't understand the thermal compression mechanism. I can't divulge any more than that.

Dammit, okay, punishment accepted. (I have lived out of my SUV which isn't much better or worse.)

But please leave me my guitar, Axe and mains power. (When I was camping out in nowhere, I ran my Axe from my cigarette lighter sometimes discharging my battery (oops, but worth it). Now I have to get a new one :).)

Back
Top Bottom