Speaker Compression and Speaker Constant Settings Sweet Spots.

What are you guys setting the speaker constant to (obviously different for each speaker)?
Speaker compression I can typically hear kicking in around 4 just tickling the meter, at least on the amps I use (clean/eob)

I'm not in front of my unit to reconfirm but I can hear/feel a speaker compression setting of 1 (vs 0) on clean amps like the Band Commander. I can't recall the amount of compression shown on the meter tho (will check later).

I cannot say that I have found a sweet spot, but it is one of those few advanced controls that I always try to remember to experiment with. I think, it makes a big difference. Especially with the most recent improvements.

I'm not in front of my unit to reconfirm but I can hear/feel a speaker compression setting of 1 (vs 0) on clean amps like the Band Commander. I can't recall the amount of compression shown on the meter tho (will check later).

I've tried to verify this using reverse polarity testing, but I haven't been able to find a clean tone that results in an impact on the signal with a Speaker Compression setting of 1.

I’ve thought frequently how nice it would be to have the speaker compression relative to amp volume to compress more as volume increases, as well as interactive to dynamics.
Isnt that a current wish?
Try comparing the Deluxe Reverb model with the Input Drive set to 2 or 3 and the Speaker Compression set to 1.00 and then 10.00. Then compare the same model with the Input Gain set to 8 and the Speaker Compression set to 1.00, then cranked to 10.00. The differences between the two (the higher gain being more noticeable) are stark, especially the audible differences.

I just confirmed that Speaker Compression level (and perceptibility) does vary with Master Volume. Try it with a DR per @Jason Scott.

OTOH, I do think I hear lower compression values with clean amps but maybe it's placebo.

Last edited:
I just confirmed that Speaker Compression level (and perceptibility) does vary with Master Volume. Try it with a DR per @Jason Scott.

OTOH, I do think I hear lower compression values with clean amps but maybe it's placebo.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, Speaker Compression does have an impact on distorted signals, but I'm not seeing any evidence that clean tones with low Speaker Compression settings (eg. 1.00 to 3.00) are affected.

I don’t use the speaker compression in my presets. It in the past has taken away from an immediate “feel” I wanted to get in a preset. I sometimes use the output compressor- just a little, like 0.25, for cleans.

Same here. I usually don't use speaker compression in my presets. If I do use it I usually set it to 1 (or maybe 2).

Speaker compression depends on master volume, if the amp still have lots of headroom, it is difficult to get any speaker compression going.

For real amps with lots of headroom (e.g. Twin), it seems like one should dynamically be compressing the speaker even at moderate drive/volume (as they are loud).

I wonder if Cliff could add a speaker compression "trim" or "boost" to be able to boost it when there is headroom. Or allow the dial to go higher. Or otherwise act like an average dB compression setting, e.g. 1 ~ 1 dB, 5 ~ 5 dB of compression on average.

A theory on clean vs dirty amps: Distorted sounds have a more even volume output, giving a higher average input to the speaker compressor. Clean amps are more peaky, quickly dropping in output after the peak of the attack. Since the speaker compression has a time constant and need time to be able to react, this means it gets triggered less by clean tones.

Just a theory, I might be full of horseshit.

couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread, so sorry if this has alseady been posted, but when this parameter was introduced, there was discussion about "best" setings and Cliff said that target values should be about -6db for marshall style amps and -3db for fender/boogies. the amount of compression you get varies depending on other factors, like the mv setting.

I wouldn’t think speaker compression would depend on master volume. Some amps are as loud with lower master volume than others with it cranked. As well as the efficiency of the speaker. A 20 watt will compress way more than a 100 watt. More like speaker dependent, and volume dependent. The harder the speaker gets hit with a signal, or voltage, the more it would compress or possibly distort depending on speaker efficiency. Also dynamics are involved. The harder you play dynamically the more the speaker compresses. I’m not a rocket scientist like some of you, but that’s just common sense. (Only my thoughts, no claims on being correct).

I played with the speaker compression quite a while yesterday and wound up liking Marshall’s And Vox around 6, and fenders around 4. However experimenting with the meter, with compression on 10, I couldn’t seem to get more than 4db of compression even when cranking everything in the amp block, including the level of the amp. So hitting the cab block harder didn’t seem to make a difference. Turning volume up and down on non master volume amps does change it, as it should ( the higher the harder the speaker is hit with volume).

couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread, so sorry if this has alseady been posted, but when this parameter was introduced, there was discussion about "best" setings and Cliff said that target values should be about -6db for marshall style amps and -3db for fender/boogies. the amount of compression you get varies depending on other factors, like the mv setting.
Depending on the speaker itself, no the amp. According to Cliff.

Back
Top Bottom