" Speaker Compression " .... a quick question on its " optimal " use (?)

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all !

I am not running IEM or front foldbacks on stage.

My FRFR and Matrix Power Amp are behind me and cranked up to a good healthy / rocking live level on stage :)

As such ....... if I am using an FRFR Speaker for live use up loud, is it recommended that the Speaker Compression be turned off / set to zero because the real FRFR speaker is already providing its own "real" Speaker Compression (?)

Thanks,
Ben

FRFR use speakers that aren’t meant to compress like a guitar speaker. So it’s still worth finding a setting that you like the sound of.

FRFR use speakers that aren’t meant to compress like a guitar speaker. So it’s still worth finding a setting that you like the sound of.
I guess thats what im trying to find out the answer too ? FRFR or guitar speaker, in a mechanical sense are the same (?) so they should compress in the same way (?) notwithstanding there differing frequency response (?).

Ben

Hi all !

I am not running IEM or front foldbacks on stage.

My FRFR and Matrix Power Amp are behind me and cranked up to a good healthy / rocking live level on stage :)

As such ....... if I am using an FRFR Speaker for live use up loud, is it recommended that the Speaker Compression be turned off / set to zero because the real FRFR speaker is already providing its own "real" Speaker Compression (?)

Thanks,
Ben

I think if you're running FRFR (which has little compression) you might want to use speaker compression to mimic guitar cab compression. If you are using a guitar cab that is already compressing, then you might not want to use it.

"Guitar loudspeakers are intentionally designed to compress. FRFR speakers do compress a bit but not nearly to the extent that guitar speakers do."

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...v-7-02-public-beta.125473/page-5#post-1493261

Have you tried it?

There is no magical authority telling you how to use your gear or what you're supposed to sound like.

Compression is a huge part of guitar tone and if that knob gets you closer to what you want to hear, use it. If it doesn't, don't.

Back
Top Bottom