Speaker Cable?

Andy Eagle

Fractal Fanatic
I know for guitar cabs sounds good is all that matters because accuracy is not a goal so small diameter OFC is good to go, particularly as cable runs are short.
BUT, Fr Fr is in theory wanting audiophile cable to reproduce accurately what ever you put through it. Is it worth going large diameter high quality for a run of 5m?
I was thinking 4mm squared speakon to jack . This in high quality is multiples the price of the regular 1.5mm. Worth it? What do you use, did you try various and are you happy?

The problem word is 'audiophile', because that can mean anything from 'high quality' to 'fairy dust'. For a 5 meter run, I don't think it'll make any difference in what you hear onstage.

I mean separate the BS from what actually makes a difference. Bigger diameter makes a difference 'OFC' less so ,connectors ,yes, silver tinned cable, err no . Some so-called premium cables sound worse or the same a cheap ones. All I'm trying to find out is where do the improvements stop and the fairy dust start. We are dealing with trying to produce an accurate uncoloured signal here which is a different goal than in a regular guitar rig. Alex Dumble likes 5amp twisted lamp flex but this is not the idea here.

That totally backs up my thinking ,Thanks DLC86.
I went with the 4mm squared speakon to jack for my new cables. Should this size also be used inside the cab to the speaker because it's 1.5mm at best . Would seem a pity to add unnecessary resistance in the cab.

That totally backs up my thinking ,Thanks DLC86.
I went with the 4mm squared speakon to jack for my new cables. Should this size also be used inside the cab to the speaker because it's 1.5mm at best . Would seem a pity to add unnecessary resistance in the cab.
It surely won't hurt but I don't know if it's worth to replace it, after all inside the cab you can find half meter of cable at most and that shouldn't add a lot of resistance even if it's thinner

Back
Top Bottom