SPDIF + Reaper setup help

Hi everyone,

I've got the Axe III setup via SPDIF into my Focusrite Saffire Pro 14.

Here are my settings:

Capture.PNG

Hover.PNG

I have a signal coming through to the track as you can see. When recording, I'm hearing the sound of the Axe itself and it sounds fine but on playback it sounds really distorted - I thought setting the sample rate to 48k would've sorted this?

I want to be able to control the volume of the Axe from Reaper too but atm the volume sliders within Reaper don't do anything and therefore to adjust the volume for recording I'm having to adjust the level in Axe Edit.

I can control the volume once it's recorded obviously but I want complete control within Reaper - is this possible?

Would really appreciate any help on getting this setup as it should be!

Thank you!

My suggestion is to connect both the Saffire and the Axe (via USB) to your computer (leaving the SPDIF connection intact). Then select the Axe as the audio interface in Reaper. The rest is set out in the Axe manual.

Is your 'clock source' set up correctly in each unit?

One being the master (using internal clock) and one as slave (using external clock). You can't have both units using 'External' or both using 'Internal' clocks simultaneously. Doing so leads to all sorts of problems which can be interpreted as "distortion".

Good point Zedhed. If it's recording correctly, I would think the clocks are set correctly, but who knows. Regardless, I think it's preferable to use the Axe as the interface for guitar, if for no other reason that you can track the direct signal independently.

Depends, is one interface being used to record and other to play back?

I've always found it better to connect s/pdif using two cables, in>out & out>in and use one interface to monitor through. Some people tend to only use one cable and two interfaces connected in a one directional setup.

My suggestion is to connect both the Saffire and the Axe (via USB) to your computer (leaving the SPDIF connection intact). Then select the Axe as the audio interface in Reaper. The rest is set out in the Axe manual.

Depends, is one interface being used to record and other to play back?

I've always found it better to connect s/pdif using two cables, in>out & out>in and use one interface to monitor through. Some people tend to only use one cable and two interfaces connected in a one directional setup.

Thanks for the response guys.

Currently, I have my Saffire connected via firewire to my PC and the Axe is connected to the Saffire via SPDIF.

Both are set to 48khz.

For simply playing and using Axe Edit, the guitar sounds fine. It's only when I hit record in Reaper that something isn't set up right as it's recording a different signal. I think what I need is to set Reaper as the Master and get the Axe sound routed through Reaper so I can have control in one place but I'm not sure how to get this done lol.

Atm when I adjust the volume slider or even mute the track in Reaper, it's not affecting the sound coming from the Axe. I'm still hearing the Axe itself.

BobbyJones, connect the Axe to your computer via USB and select the Axe as your audio interface in Reaper. Keep everything else as you already have it. If you want to mic something through the Saffire, you would change the interface to the Saffire in Reaper. But, for guitar, use the Axe as the interface.

BobbyJones, connect the Axe to your computer via USB and select the Axe as your audio interface in Reaper. Keep everything else as you already have it. If you want to mic something through the Saffire, you would change the interface to the Saffire in Reaper. But, for guitar, use the Axe as the interface.

Ok, I'll give this a go. So, I can keep my speakers connected to my Saffire? I don't want to use the Axe as a replacement interface to my Saffire completely but if I can just use it in Reaper as an interface and everything else still goes through the Saffire then that should work ok.

Back
Top Bottom