SPDIF re-amp funny business

ivanhoe

I have run into the following and was wondering if anyone else is having a similar issue or if not are they doing something differently.

I have been recording both the analog sound from output 1 and the direct input over spdif into my interface. I have the interface setup for 48000 etc... everything appears to record fine. My intention is to record analog for the general idea and later re-amp with a more specific desired tone. What I have noticed however is that when I attempt to reamp, (switching Axe FX to spdif input and sending signal over SPDIF back into the axe) using the same preset it does not sound the same. In the DAW the waveform is different in various places and the tone is distinctly different (less gain/quieter also some other slight differences).

My understanding is that you should not be altering the levels on the DI track in any way or making any other changes to it.

I do not use USB to record and that option is out of the question (cpu), I also do not want to do analog re-amping. Are there people doing re-amping through SPDIF and getting perfect recreation of the original recording? If so are you doing anything special or modifying the DI track?

Yes, same tone via SPDIF reamping is possible. It shouldn't be necessary to modify DI track level.

What interface are you using? Can you post a screenshot of its mixer/control program, if any?

Did you check for level-altering track/master plugins in DAW?

Have you checked DAW pan law settings? Nonzero settings will typically reduce level when track isn't fully L/R.

Were the Axe USB/MIDI port(s) connected to your computer? Some DAWs may send MIDI commands on playback/stop that do things like drop Axe-FX input level to 50%. You could test for this by disconnecting MIDI/USB cables and restarting the Axe-FX.

My understanding is that you should not be altering the levels on the DI track in any way or making any other changes to it.
Not true. In the analog world, you'd be using a mic pre to get your DI into your DAW. So, why not do something similar if you want to stay in digital land? You could put a preamp type plugin on the DI track that you are sending back to the Axe-Fx for reamp. The Metric Halo Character plugin is nice for this.

Not true. In the analog world, you'd be using a mic pre to get your DI into your DAW. So, why not do something similar if you want to stay in digital land? You could put a preamp type plugin on the DI track that you are sending back to the Axe-Fx for reamp. The Metric Halo Character plugin is nice for this.

I think he meant the digital DI signal. Which is correct in my experience. The digital signal going in should be the same coming back out. No need to gain stage since your not passing through any Ad/ da converters or preamp.

That's because, in the analog world, you have to go through a mic pre. If you like what that adds, by all means add it. But know that it's a change to your DI signal, and it will work to prevent you from perfectly recreating your tone if you reamp through the same preset that you originally used.

Thanks for the feedback. Went back checked various setting and finally in the DAW panned the DI track hard left (since even with a mono track it outputs stereo internally) when playing it back to the Axe FX and was able to reproduce a fairly perfect recreation of the original track.

Thanks for the feedback. Went back checked various setting and finally in the DAW panned the DI track hard left (since even with a mono track it outputs stereo internally) when playing it back to the Axe FX and was able to reproduce a fairly perfect recreation of the original track.

That’s great news! I’m always happy when I find it’s a small oversight verses equipment failure.

Happy tracking!!

Yes, same tone via SPDIF reamping is possible. It shouldn't be necessary to modify DI track level.

What interface are you using? Can you post a screenshot of its mixer/control program, if any?

Did you check for level-altering track/master plugins in DAW?

Have you checked DAW pan law settings? Nonzero settings will typically reduce level when track isn't fully L/R.

Were the Axe USB/MIDI port(s) connected to your computer? Some DAWs may send MIDI commands on playback/stop that do things like drop Axe-FX input level to 50%. You could test for this by disconnecting MIDI/USB cables and restarting the Axe-FX.

EDIT:
I may have figured out one possible solution for the issue below, thanks to your post. I changed from the value "10" to "none" the "input volume" parameter on I/O > Control Tab. I'll do more tests tomorrow but it seems to be ok now.

Hi Bakerman,

Do you know any possible solutions for the problem you described on the input level drop? I'm going crazy over here. Everything runs fine when the Axe FX USB cable is disconnected.
I have about the same setup as the OP described. I also record both the output 1 with XLRs and DI over SPDIF on a Focusrite Scarlet 6i6.
I use the Axe FX USB just for Axe-Edit. When I arm the tracks for recording or monitoring inside the DAW (Logic Pro X) the input level drops considerably. I can't confirm that it happens on the DI signal. But it definitely happens on the analog signal. It feels like the Amp Block gain or input level was dramatically reduced.
Then I have disconnect the USB and restart the Axe FX, as you said, to be able to record something. But is really a pain to not have Axe-Edit open during recording.
The strange part is that I had this setup for over a year and it started to happen out of nowhere about 2 weeks ago.

Would really appreciate some help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom