Spdif Out - Static

sprint

Axe-Master
I'm getting static from my audio interface (roland octacapture) when monitoring spdif output from Axefxiii.

• Headphone out from AxefxIII does not yeild any static (so I know it's the spdif).
  • Spdif source is Output 1.
  • Octacapture is set to 48k sample rate.
  • The same cable from my AxefxII spfdif out to roland octacapture does not present any static.
  • AxefxIII balanced out to Octacapture balanced in does not yield any static.
  • I'm testing with a simple input to output patch for both AxefxIII and AxefxII tests.
  • Turing the output block way down does not remove the static (so it's not clipping the output of AxeIII or Input of Octacapture).
  • I don't play clean much so this may have been with me since I got the Axe III a year ago.

Any ideas?

I guess the first question is who is the clocking master, and how are you syncing everything? In other words, it sounds like your Axe III needs to be the boss. Is your Octacapture setup to be a slave?

Octacapture is the slave as indicated by Clock="External"

I've also tried:
  • Changing spdif cable (though I knew the cable was ok since it works fine on AxefxII).
  • Switched from front to rear inputs of AxeIII - no change.
  • Routed Output2 of AxeIII through spdif instead of Output1 - same issue.

It's really looking like the AxeIII spdif output is staticy with this interface where as AxeII is ok. Tomorrow, I'll try AxeII spdif out to another device and see if I get the same issue.

Since Octacapture is slave, is the Axe setup as Master?
Setup>I/O>Audio>Word Clock>Internal.
Yes Axe is set to internal. It seems to be related to order of powering items on in the rack. After power cycle of both Axe and Octa, I sometimes get static, sometimes not (good news to me as it suggests the issue is with spdif handshake and not an Axe hardware problem of some sort). I'll continue farting around with it to confirm what sequence of events causes this problem.

I noticed, too, that if the word clock in the axe is set to spdif out and it is going into my spdif in on my audio interface then my unit will start to static uncontrollably. Is there a way I could set this up differently?

I noticed, too, that if the word clock in the axe is set to spdif out and it is going into my spdif in on my audio interface then my unit will start to static uncontrollably. Is there a way I could set this up differently?
If the Word Clock is set to SPDIF then you need to supply a signal to the SPDIF in to derive the word clock from. Otherwise the Axe-Fx is the master and you need to set your interface to be a slave.

Sorry if I'm repeating exactly what you said. But I have my audio interface (Focusrite 18i20) and Axe FX III hooked up together via spdif in and out. Outs going into ins. So if I have my AXE clock programmed as External while both devices are on it should work properly, correct? It was working fine yesterday when I bought the two spdif cables and used it. It wasn't until today the static would kick up uncontrollably until I changed the clocks around.

I want the clocks to be synced because I start getting artifacts when recording. I thought this would be the best way to go about it.

I tried to set the other interface to be a slave to the Axe Fx to see what would happen, but the signal didn't lock.

Sorry if I'm repeating exactly what you said. But I have my audio interface (Focusrite 18i20) and Axe FX III hooked up together via spdif in and out. Outs going into ins. So if I have my AXE clock programmed as External while both devices are on it should work properly, correct? It was working fine yesterday when I bought the two spdif cables and used it. It wasn't until today the static would kick up uncontrollably until I changed the clocks around.

I want the clocks to be synced because I start getting artifacts when recording. I thought this would be the best way to go about it.

I tried to set the other interface to be a slave to the Axe Fx to see what would happen, but the signal didn't lock.
I can't follow you. You said it didn't work then it does work when you changed the clocks around. See the manual for instructions on how to set up external clocking.

Your statement "So if I have my AXE clock programmed as External while both devices are on it should work properly, correct?";
Is only correct if the Focusrite is set opposite to the Axe. In other words, if the Axe clock is set to External the Focusrite must be set to Internal.
Internal = 'Master'
External = 'Slave'.
You can't have two masters or two slaves working together.

Your statement "So if I have my AXE clock programmed as External while both devices are on it should work properly, correct?";
Is only correct if the Focusrite is set opposite to the Axe. In other words, if the Axe clock is set to External the Focusrite must be set to Internal.
Internal = 'Master'
External = 'Slave'.
You can't have two masters or two slaves working together.
Thanks for the help. That seemed to help. Sorry about the phrasing, I am not very good with words.

Back
Top Bottom