Spdif, midi, analog connections

imrecs

Inspired
For live performance I want my Axe to go through Ableton and also sync via midi for automatic block/preset changes as wel as midi tempo sync.

I can't send midi info over spdif can I? My interface has both midi spdif and analog ins and outs. Is it okay to run the Axe via Spdif into Ableton or should I use the analog outs? Is one more reliable than the other for live use? Would rather use spdif to keep it digital.

No, you can't send midi over SPDIF. You can, I think, do everything you need over USB.

Since the RME will be the interface don't I have to run the fractal either via spdif into the RME or analog? USB just for Midi signal perhaps? The RME has a midi I/O so wondering which would be better? USB or midi for midi. analog or spdif for audio? For live, stability and latency is more important than sound, though sonically I prefer spdif to analog puts.

A few years back I remember it being recommended that analog outs were preferred over spdif. I am not sure if that is still the case. I do believe MIDI will just be a matter of your preference. I've had equal results with MIDI USB and 5 PIN DIN.

interesting about analog outs. why is that? in the studio i prefer spdif or USB to avoid an extra conversion but perhaps it's not as stable as analog for live?

interesting about analog outs. why is that?

I apologize imrecs but I can't remember why. It was a non-issue for me but I vividly remember it because it surprised me. There will be some old timers on here that may can chime in or perhaps Cliff can say why this was recommended. It also may not even be pertinent anymore.

Running an extra set of MIDI ports in LIVE is unnecessary. Better to use the MIDI OUT of the RME to send clock (and other signals) to the MIDI IN of the Axe-Fx.
SPDIF is fine, but analog will be easier.

Thanks!

So RME Midi Out -> Midi In of Axe FX > Faslink to MFC-101 > Midi Out of 101 to RJM Mini Effect Gizmo #1 > Midi Out of RJM Mini Effect Gizmo #1 to Midi In of RJM Mini Effect Gizmo #2 > Midi Out of RJM Mini Effect Gizmo #2 to Midi in of Moog M104M Delay Pedal....would this be the best way to tempo/clock/automation sync my rig?

On that note, is it possible to send Phantom power from the Axe > MFC > RJMs?

Will experiment with both Spdif and Analog.

Back
Top Bottom