SPDIF Issue

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
I've been using my Axe through my SPDIF in on my Creative X-Fi Platinum sound card for months. Yesterday I plugged the ol' Vetta in and recorded a sample of a patch I need to emulate with the Axe. I recorded in Cubase VST 4, something I almost never do, and after i was done recording I plugged the SPDIF cable back into my Axe FX.

I forgot to close the Cubase session by the time a buddy came over to buy the Vetta and he wanted a quick demo with the Axe. All worked fine and I closed the Cubase session.

Today, I go to play and suddenly, I have no sound. I've looked through every setting I can find in Windows volume control, Creative's Console Launcher, and Cubase inputs to see if I inadvertantly shutoff something, but nothing seems to return my sound to me.

I did notice that when I use the "Bit-Match" setting on my soundcard, it attempts to set it at 44.1khz 16-bit, but I know the Axe sends 48khz 24-bit.

Also, my creative console has "Unknown or Invalid signal" listed for the SPDIF and Digital In Monitoring. Simply because I was running out of options, I unplugged and plugged everything back in only to find that the "Digital In" section now read "48000hz 24 Bit"... which is weird because I have it plugged into SPDIF In, not the Optical In. Also, at this point, un-muting the "Digital In" in Windows XP's volume control gave me some crazy feedback-y noises.

I updated drivers on my soundcard just now in an attempt to fix the issue, but it didn't work. Any ideas?

Sidivan,

I had started a thread for a S/PDIF problem I was having and got a few replies with issues the same as mine. while this isn't quite the same, it does "seem" like the S/PDIF portion of the Axe-fx has a few things that need to at least be looked at. I can only imagine how busy Cliff is, but hopefully after NAMM he might be able to take a peak at it...

Steph

Unfortunately, I had to go back to analog outputs after I couldn't properly troubleshoot a significant buzz at about 3500Hz. Honestly, I know that the SPDIF should be better without the additional A/D conversion, but the Axe sounds so good I can't really tell the difference between SPDIF and the analog outs. Or maybe it is because the converters in my M-Audio Profire 610 are pretty good (or so I am told).

Go into creatives audio creator mode and make sure that spdif isn't muted, so if you see boxes with red lights under spdif it's muted. And on that same screen if you look at the bottom left hand corner it will tell you and allow you to change the sample frequency. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom