SPDIF dropouts and noise since FW 6.02

AZG

Experienced
I've noticed that I keep getting occasional SPDIF connection dropouts and noise since upgrading to FW 6.02 (cpu is below 85%). Everything will be fine for 15 or so minutes and then the connection seems to loose sync with my Focusrite 6i6 which causes the 6i6 to switch sync source back to internal. Once this happens the only fix is to turn off the AX8 and restart. Restarting the 6i6 does not fix the connection. Anyone else notices SPDIF connection issues since around FW6?

I have a 6i6 2nd Gen, with a 2015 MacBook Air... I haven't had a problem with the AX8 FW 6.02 SPDIF and the 6i6... Thank God ...

I've noticed that I keep getting occasional SPDIF connection dropouts and noise since upgrading to FW 6.02 (cpu is below 85%). Everything will be fine for 15 or so minutes and then the connection seems to loose sync with my Focusrite 6i6 which causes the 6i6 to switch sync source back to internal. Once this happens the only fix is to turn off the AX8 and restart. Restarting the 6i6 does not fix the connection. Anyone else notices SPDIF connection issues since around FW6?
It's not the firmware. You either have an issue with your setup, or your unit. I would suggest contacting support (support.fractalaudio.com).

It's not the firmware. You either have an issue with your setup, or your unit. I would suggest contacting support (support.fractalaudio.com).
Ok, thanks. I guess i will have to look into it more. I never had a problem until recently and the firmware update is the only thing i can think of that changed, so it seemed the logical place to start.

Check the clock of your audio card of the computer.
My ax8 is connected With it with spdif.
Sometimess with some application the clock of audio card change from 48000hz to 44000hs and then I get noise with the ax8.

Fwiw, I got the AX8, 6i6 (2nd Gen), and Pro Tools recording over SPDIF this weekend with no issues. Recorded all day yesterday, everything was solid. I did have issues setting up the Focusrite drivers with PTF, but even before that the AX8 sounded fine through the 6i6 over SPDIF.

Last edited:
I second Lagoise's opinion. The only time I've had noise and dropouts using S/pidif is when the clock settings don't match. This happens to me when I open up an old project and it reverts back to the old sample rate. My advice to the op would be to be wary of said settings. They 'digital garbage noise' is not one of my favorite tones. Although who knows maybe someday that will be a desireable tone match! Haha

Back
Top Bottom