SPDIF Audio Interface to Axe-Fx Connections

normanaj

Inspired
Need a little help understanding the best way to hook up my Audio Interface to the Axe FX / PC chain.
First, my audio interface (ff800...I know its old) has both coaxial and opt spdif connectors...does the axeFx III support both? I'm just confirming before I buy some cables.
Where in the chain should the audio interface be? Between the AxeFX and the PC or before the AXE? I was thinking before the Axe because I really just want to use my audio interfaces mic preamps since it is the only preamp I have (for now) for vocals...but I want to try to use the AxeFX effects on those vocals. I got a bit confused when I read that someone put it after the AxeFx and selected the AI in the DAW...I don't really understand why you would do this.

I have my Avid Omni & AxeIII connected via s/pdif both directions, so two 75 Ohm coaxial cables. I do this so I have a choice in Pro Tools as to which interface I want to use as the playback Engine. I think this addresses your question about "where in the chain should the audio interface be".....in this scenario, it doesn't matter.
All my I/O's are custom named in Pro Tools I/O setup for easy recognizable routing purposes.
My monitors are connected to the Omni.
For the same setup In your case;
1. FF800 s/pdif out>AxeFX s/pdif in
2. AxeFX s/pdif out>FF800 s/pdif in

I also have the AxeIII connected to PC via USB for Axe Edit as well as for Re-Amping. In your case you'd connect the FF800 via firewire or usb as well if you want control over which interface is used as playback engine within your DAW for differing recording & playback scenarios.

It is essential to choose which interface is going to be used as master clock source and which as slave & make the appropriate settings in each units setup mode, usually indicated as 'Internal' or 'External'. So, the master clock source would be Internal & conversely, the slave would be external source. Two digitally connected interfaces will not function correctly if both are set as master or both set as slave.

Last edited:
I just did a routing video where I describe how to setup inputs and outputs via SPDIF as in the case of reamping of using the AXE FX III as an multi-purpose external processor...

Back
Top Bottom