• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

SPDIF Audio Interface to Axe-Fx Connections

normanaj

New here
Need a little help understanding the best way to hook up my Audio Interface to the Axe FX / PC chain.
First, my audio interface (ff800...I know its old) has both coaxial and opt spdif connectors...does the axeFx III support both? I'm just confirming before I buy some cables.
Where in the chain should the audio interface be? Between the AxeFX and the PC or before the AXE? I was thinking before the Axe because I really just want to use my audio interfaces mic preamps since it is the only preamp I have (for now) for vocals...but I want to try to use the AxeFX effects on those vocals. I got a bit confused when I read that someone put it after the AxeFx and selected the AI in the DAW...I don't really understand why you would do this.

Zedhed

Inspired
I have my Avid Omni & AxeIII connected via s/pdif both directions, so two 75 Ohm coaxial cables. I do this so I have a choice in Pro Tools as to which interface I want to use as the playback Engine. I think this addresses your question about "where in the chain should the audio interface be".....in this scenario, it doesn't matter.
All my I/O's are custom named in Pro Tools I/O setup for easy recognizable routing purposes.
My monitors are connected to the Omni.
For the same setup In your case;
1. FF800 s/pdif out>AxeFX s/pdif in
2. AxeFX s/pdif out>FF800 s/pdif in

I also have the AxeIII connected to PC via USB for Axe Edit as well as for Re-Amping. In your case you'd connect the FF800 via firewire or usb as well if you want control over which interface is used as playback engine within your DAW for differing recording & playback scenarios.

It is essential to choose which interface is going to be used as master clock source and which as slave & make the appropriate settings in each units setup mode, usually indicated as 'Internal' or 'External'. So, the master clock source would be Internal & conversely, the slave would be external source. Two digitally connected interfaces will not function correctly if both are set as master or both set as slave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom