Spare rig at gigs - Boss Katana Head!

stratos

Inspired
I just bought the Katana 100 watt head, to pair with my Carvin 212 cab.
It has a DIRECT INPUT, that accepts my 1/4" TRS output from my FAS.
IF my FAS goes down ON STAGE (which is always one of our greatest concerns)!
I have an immediate spare!
I just keep my Behringer FCB 1010 in a gig bag, with a power and MIDI cable, which gives me full access to all necessary Katana effects and patch control.
Switch my input from the AX8 to the Katana, move the AX8 to the side, and drop in the FCB 1010, and IT'S DONE. (1 minute tops)
The amp is VERY LOUD, transparent and clean. It is a Class A/B power section,not a CLASS D!
The amp modeling and effects are really good, and are more than acceptable.
The Katana has a USB editing interface ( like AXE EDIT).
So pre-programming the head is a breeze. Lots of usable amp models, decent efx that can be edited, and placed in the signal chain to your liking.
A simple pair of stomp SPST, wired on TRS, can give you access to basic patch / efx switching if you don't have a midi foot controller.
Only drawback thus far:...NO tuner
Under $400.00 USD, can't beat it for an amp, that dual's as a spare rig!
BTW, there is a small 3" speaker IN THE HEAD (behind the grille) that goes live when unplugging your cab. It's almost loud enough to gig with, but more of a convenience when programming, and shedding.
It also has FX IN - OUT routing, and a headphone output.
Check out Leon Todd's review on it! (Thanks LT....you sold me on it)

I gigged a lot in a metal band over the last few years using a Katana 100 2X12. Remarkably solid tone and REALLY loud (no problems at all keeping up with the other guitarist's 5150 2x12, and I've rarely brought it out of 50watt mode).

After trying to play live with a pair of Headrush 108s and my FM3 (no FOH), I found they just didn't have the kick so I've recently started playing with pushing the FM3 right into the Katana return. I'm turning off the cab emulation and dialing in tones to work with the spectrum of the Katana speakers. Pretty solid so far, but time will tell. I'm pushing the FM3 out of Output 2 with no cab emulation, but leaving a cab on Output one when I go FOH.

As you mentioned, the big benefit is that if for some reason my FM3 goes down, I can just switch over to the Katana and limp through the rest of the gig. I'll bring the Katana foot controller for this reason. I've actually started thinking of ditching the 100 and getting two 50s so I can go stereo.

I just keep my Behringer FCB 1010 in a gig bag, with a power and MIDI cable, which gives me full access to all necessary Katana effects and patch control.
Switch my input from the AX8 to the Katana, move the AX8 to the side, and drop in the FCB 1010, and IT'S DONE. (1 minute tops)
The amp is VERY LOUD, transparent and clean. It is a Class A/B power section,not a CLASS D!
So pre-programming the head is a breeze. Lots of usable amp models, decent efx that can be edited, and placed in the signal chain to your liking.
A simple pair of stomp SPST, wired on TRS, can give you access to basic patch / efx switching if you don't have a midi foot controller.
BTW, there is a small 3" speaker IN THE HEAD (behind the grille) that goes live when unplugging your cab. It's almost loud enough to gig with, but more of a convenience when programming, and shedding.
Great post and info. Maybe I retire my Orange Dual Terror and have one head that doesn't requite tubes. :) (Vox HW AC30 is my other.) You got me thinking.

Did you buy the new mk11 version? There are lots of used original versions for sale and wondering if there is a big difference between the MK11 and MK1.

I gigged a lot in a metal band over the last few years using a Katana 100 2X12. Remarkably solid tone and REALLY loud (no problems at all keeping up with the other guitarist's 5150 2x12, and I've rarely brought it out of 50watt mode).

After trying to play live with a pair of Headrush 108s and my FM3 (no FOH), I found they just didn't have the kick so I've recently started playing with pushing the FM3 right into the Katana return. I'm turning off the cab emulation and dialing in tones to work with the spectrum of the Katana speakers. Pretty solid so far, but time will tell. I'm pushing the FM3 out of Output 2 with no cab emulation, but leaving a cab on Output one when I go FOH.

As you mentioned, the big benefit is that if for some reason my FM3 goes down, I can just switch over to the Katana and limp through the rest of the gig. I'll bring the Katana foot controller for this reason. I've actually started thinking of ditching the 100 and getting two 50s so I can go stereo.
Kewl.
I had the same issues with running with FRFR, (RCF's, SEISMIC, etc)...NO punch, too much upper response, not a realistic guitar response when being used to a cab.
I found I wanted more COMP on the front end, threw an MXR - Dynacomp at the front end to help.
You can do a stereo rig using another Katana. Check it out, I think Leon talks about it on his review video (YouTube)
There is a special output on the head for this, so your time based effects in the Katana LINK up.

I think the Katana is a ridiculous bargain. If I'd had one when I started playing guitar I'd have learned a boatload about amps that took me a long time to learn. I joke with my music store friends that every guitar player in music school should start with a Katana and have to show their teacher(s) that they understand how to use it and have reached its' limitations before being allowed to move on to another amp.

So if you use an amp and a speaker cab, don't you have to turn off the amp and cab modeling? Wouldn't your sound get muddy? Is there a way that you do that globally? Just curious. Or did you wrote different presets and scenes for when you use the Katana.

Have a Boss Katana 100 head and Tech 21 2x12" cab fitted with 70's vintage EV speakers. Sounds OK and was a spare rig when I had my AX8. My other guitarist started borrowing it when his modified JCM 800 and 4 x 12" rig started making dinosaur farts at random. His Marshall is in serious need of repair and as he liked the sound coming out of my rig, he started using that for over a year. Now he took my advice and got an FM3.

I was always under impression that the EVs in my 2x12" cab had more to do with the sound more than the Boss. The cab weighs about as much as his Marshall cab and when plugging the Katana into both, my Tech 21 has better overall tone. My first exposure to EV speakers in a closed box and despite weighing way more than Celestion GT75's, really makes any amp shine.

That said, the FM3 and FRFR is the only way we will go now.

So if you use an amp and a speaker cab, don't you have to turn off the amp and cab modeling? Wouldn't your sound get muddy? Is there a way that you do that globally? Just curious. Or did you wrote different presets and scenes for when you use the Katana.
If your asking about the Katana, The Katana opens the signal chain to the preamp sections, and just routes direct to the power amp section when you plug into the POWER amp input. All the LED's go dark, and just an LED indicating POWER amp stays lit.

I keep reading "Spare ribs at gigs".
thanks-ribs-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg

I also have a Katana 100 Head, mostly as a spare and/or travel amp. As mentioned, this little amp is quite the bargain. Really it's only real shortcoming is only having 8 presets available at any one time. But, hey, that's not at all unreasonable for the cost.

It surprised me a bit, but I have even been able to get great tones using my FRFR speakers. The first couple of times, it took me a little bit of configuring with the EQ to get it to where I wanted.

I always think I'm going to sell it someday, and then I fire it up a remember why I keep it around. It can be a great sounding and powerful amp.

I am quite content to travel or play out with it, because if it gets beer spilled on it, dropped from a cab or even stolen, I'll not be crying like I would with some of my other equipment.

Regarding TheloniusJ's, I would go stero with two 50W units in a heartbeat if I could get them in head units.

All said, it's certainly not an FM3!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom