Sounds like The Shadows

Hey StratnVox,

This is some great work you have done. Always have wanted to sit down and try and get the Hank Marvin sound. Used to play a lot of Shadows tunes in a band back in my early teens. The band was named Atlantis so what does that tell you.
Wonderful land patch sounded great. Will be trying the Apache patch that you have posted for sure.

Again great job with these.

Mark

Mark, thanks for the comments. Great to see Shadows fans around the global.

I'm planning a set of presets to cover all the early recordings in particular the UB Hank Backing tracks to Volume 5. More on that later.

I'm English but living in the states now so that's why I know Shadows music. Was pretty much a staple growing up to listen (and play) beatles and shadows. :)

Mark

Sorry about the gain. My presets have yet to be "normalised".

So glad you liked them but have you tried the ones I posted Yesterday (11/8/2013)?

I'm waiting for some confirmation that these are the best yet before I apply the same preset layout to many other Shadows presets and before I post them in Axe-Change.

Thanks for your "Like" on the request.

hi stratnvox, yeah I tried those apache and wonderful land presets over the weekend, and I would say they are the best yet for sure, and permanently stored in axefx :) there's a lot more repeats in the apache echo than i'm used to on my alesis preset, but i'm not complaining, thanks again stratnvox :)

hi stratnvox, yeah I tried those apache and wonderful land presets over the weekend, and I would say they are the best yet for sure, and permanently stored in axefx :) there's a lot more repeats in the apache echo than i'm used to on my alesis preset, but i'm not complaining, thanks again stratnvox :)
Thanks! Glad you like them.
In the attached version of Apache, I have all but eliminated the repeats so now you have a choice. Let me know which is best to your ears.

I'll be giving my axefx a workout with some of the most discerning Shadows players in Sydney on Saturday week (24th). I'm hoping that my ears are good enough to convince them that the axefx is seriously in the game for Shadows fans. Some of those guys have the genuine Vox amps with 60's components and Celestion Blue speakers and Meazzi tape units. There will also be a friend using a TVS echo unit which is the "weapon" that Hank now uses.

Attachments

• Apache New.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 84
Thanks! Glad you like them.
In the attached version of Apache, I have all but eliminated the repeats so now you have a choice. Let me know which is best to your ears.

I'll be giving my axefx a workout with some of the most discerning Shadows players in Sydney on Saturday week (24th). I'm hoping that my ears are good enough to convince them that the axefx is seriously in the game for Shadows fans. Some of those guys have the genuine Vox amps with 60's components and Celestion Blue speakers and Meazzi tape units. There will also be a friend using a TVS echo unit which is the "weapon" that Hank now uses.

fantastic! looking forward to having a go with the apache preset over the weekend.

wish I could be there in Sydney for that. was there in 1992 for the cricket world cup, i'd love to go back, it's a great place.

any chance of pics and even maybe a youtube vid? :)

thanks again stratnvox for all the time and effort with the axefx.

Yes, we will!
Please hold on for a day or two as I have a set of presets about to be posted to axe-change. All use FW11 and have been "normalised" at about -13/14 dB. Once you have set up your guitar input properly, they should all play against any UB Hank backing track. A full list is prepared for some 14 backing track albums.

The basis of the publication is freeware and community improvement. A set of design guidelines will also be provided so that modifications/adjustments are done in an orderly manner. Users can set the overall tone to suit themselves but hopefully not the structure of the tape echo timings and feedback parameters.

I already approached Charlie for his assistance but he declined to help. So be it!

Just stumbled over these now, having a great time with them! Amazing sound! Was gonna start a new thread to praise these when I found this thread right here... I'm not a big Shadows-fan, but man these presets are amazing! Great work!! Gotta go play some more! :D

Just stumbled over these now, having a great time with them! Amazing sound! Was gonna start a new thread to praise these when I found this thread right here... I'm not a big Shadows-fan, but man these presets are amazing! Great work!! Gotta go play some more! :D

So pleased you're enjoying them. Of the 45 presets, let me know if there's any that fall short of the mark.

Hmm..I decided to try and quickly set up a preset from scratch to see if I could 'remember' their sound in my head from years ago. Not sure how close I got... This is just a tweak, sit down, one shot take... Had to remember how to play it...I think this was the first song I ever recorded back in high school in 1980!

Please excuse the clams - like I said, I haven't played this in over 30 years! I surprised myself that I still remembered where the notes were!

I've attached the preset to this post. I'd appreciate if the experts could let me know how to improve on it...

Attachment: View attachment 9837

Dude, that was great!

Just posted a couple of recordings to show the presets in use. The only changes that I made is to change the amp 1 block tonestack to "vintage" and also the amp voicing. My thoughts are that the compression is a little too much. These where recorded via the USB connection from the Axefx using Logic Pro X on a 2007 Macbook Pro. The backing track is played and recorded via the axefx. In each case, the entire tune was recorded and presented without further editing.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/74831-shadows-sounds.html

An update on the presets in AxeChange

I found a flaw in my presets when I used the multi tape delay block in parallel with a dry signal and less than 100% mix. Some frequencies/notes seemed to be nulled out as the dry and partly wet signals where added into an amp block. Solution was to make the MTD block 100% wet and lower its output to th e desired level.

Many of my presets on axe change now need replacing/upgrading as a result. This time I'll create a zip file with some notes on the structure of the presets and the parameters than could be changed for tone and depth of effects.

Strange that after hundreds of downloads, no one has made a comment!

That's pretty common. Your thread actually has a fantastic and far more involved discussion than most preset exchange threads get. Don't fret! (har har har)

I have a few of your presets sitting here on disk, waiting to be uploaded and tried. The Apache one in particular. Maybe this weekend some time will materialize. When I do get to playing them I'll let you know.

For me it is the matter of time available. I've dozens of presets download and just waiting for me to find the time to test and evaluate them. Problem is I'd rather play than play with, if you see my meaning.

Hi iaresee and VegasGuitar,

Thanks for your comments. Yes "Time is tight!" (please excuse the musical reference to Booker T and the MG's) Being semi retired, I can spend time on the axefx and join other local musos for jam sessions about once a month.

Just to assist your Apache excursion, please try the attached versions as a comparison. These overcome the problem described in post #57.

Happy to share my stuff if we get improvement as a result.

Attachments

• Wonderful Land2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Apache2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom