Sounds boxy

Definitely helps, thanks for the tips, the cabs are on the preset, if I have cab modeling off are they being bypassed? I know this is probably silly, I should just shunt them to be 100% sure. I would imagine the preset being a bit dark is probably a reality, those are to bottom heavy amps, at least I thought so. What about the para eq that's been mentioned in output block, have not added that yet , planning to try as it was suggested. I used the geq to try and dial out the boxy type sound, so maybe that wasn't a good idea, seemed to allow me to get the mids and lows closer to AITR sound, my bogner cab has always been a great match for anything I've thrown at it, possibly not a match for ax3 , seems highly unlikely tho..be100, bogner helios, diezel Hagan, elmwood m90, marshall jvm , modded jmp all sounded great thru it, Thanks for the efforts and suggestions, going to give them a try. Cheers and Thank You!!
If you have the Cab Modeling bypassed in the Global setting, then it shouldn't matter if you have the Cab Blocks there are not. Both amps have a fairly large EQ range, so you can brighten them up via the Presence control without having to boost treble. I zeroed out the Para EQ in the Output EQ page of the Diezel. I think that in combination with the GEQ was bringing the amps into territory that was complicating things a bit, at least for my rig. You mentioned you used the GEQ to dial out the boxy sound and to get closer to the AITR sound, but if you are going through real cabs, you already have it. I cannot see why your Bogner cab wouldn't be a great match, it just will need some extra tweaking within the Axe to get it to work in concert with it. I definitely suggest just taking one amp at a time, no extra EQ, playing at volume or as close it as possible, then introducing the second amp to fill in the gaps or compliment the first one. Sometimes you can over EQ your sound to the point where it's tough to know where the problem frequencies are coming from. I'm not saying you did that, but it happens to all of us. So, starting with just one amp with the basic EQ and going from there is a good point to see if you can get the response you are looking for.

Last edited:
If you have the Cab Modeling bypassed in the Global setting, then it shouldn't matter if you have the Cab Blocks there are not. Both amps have a fairly large EQ range, so you can brighten them up via the Presence control without having to boost treble. I zeroed out the Para EQ in the Output EQ page of the Diezel. I think that in combination with the GEQ was bringing the amps into territory that was complicating things a bit, at least for my rig. You mentioned you used the GEQ to dial out the boxy sound and to get closer to the AITR sound, but if you are going through real cabs, you already have it. I cannot see why your Bogner cab wouldn't be a great match, it just will need some extra tweaking within the Axe to get it to work in concert with it. I definitely suggest just taking one amp at a time, no extra EQ, playing at volume or as close it as possible, then introducing the second amp to fill in the gaps or compliment the first one. Sometimes you can over EQ your sound to the point where it's tough to know where the problem frequencies are coming from. I'm not saying you did that, but it happens to all of us. So, starting with just one amp with the basic EQ and going from there is a good point to see if you can get the response you are looking for.
Thanks again man, your findings/suggested settings are really solid! I used the rig last night at rehearsal and it sat well in the mix. Other guitarist uses a Matchless Independence and 2x12 , the guitars had a good blend, I was pleasantly surprised and now have a decent starting point with this preset as far as what to keep close to, I did notice I had really good punch ,chord definition and note clarity, so I am very stoked to keep working at this. So glad to be using this rig, your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for downloading the file and sharing your findings and suggestions. The others who had the same pA and cab as well. This community/ forum makes the fractal products even better! Trust me I need the advice!! Cheers AndrewJay

Thanks again man, your findings/suggested settings are really solid! I used the rig last night at rehearsal and it sat well in the mix. Other guitarist uses a Matchless Independence and 2x12 , the guitars had a good blend, I was pleasantly surprised and now have a decent starting point with this preset as far as what to keep close to, I did notice I had really good punch ,chord definition and note clarity, so I am very stoked to keep working at this. So glad to be using this rig, your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for downloading the file and sharing your findings and suggestions. The others who had the same pA and cab as well. This community/ forum makes the fractal products even better! Trust me I need the advice!! Cheers AndrewJay
No problem, happy to help. I'm glad to hear that it worked out and you now have a good place to continue from. And I agree, this community is a great place to learn from. I'm constantly learning how to refine what I like/need as well. Cheers 316ms!

OP…Have you tried playing Sammy Hagar‘s Three Lock Box, or The Who’s Squeeze Box ? Those should sound spot on!
Slow day of trolling perhaps? Possibly it gets better for you, my deepest condolences, and good luck on your search

Last edited:
@316ms Hey there, I think you’re misreading the tangential and funny comments. These couple of comments, at least on this thread, do not seem at all trolling or malevolent to me. If you read through some of the firmware release threads, and really, most threads on this forum, you’ll see a ton of joke responses, not meant to be dickish, but just actually funny and friendly; I think that’s the case here. Same with tangents, they’re rampant on this forum, and usually friendly and cool. I’m all for tangents, because they can not only lighten your mood, but also elicit tips and tricks one hasn’t considered. If you try to keep the reigns too tight on your threads, they may actually prove less helpful, in my opinion.

@316ms Hey there, I think you’re misreading the tangential and funny comments. These couple of comments, at least on this thread, do not seem at all trolling or malevolent to me. If you read through some of the firmware release threads, and really, most threads on this forum, you’ll see a ton of joke responses, not meant to be dickish, but just actually funny and friendly; I think that’s the case here. Same with tangents, they’re rampant on this forum, and usually friendly and cool. I’m all for tangents, because they can not only lighten your mood, but also elicit tips and tricks one hasn’t considered. If you try to keep the reigns too tight on your threads, they may actually prove less helpful, in my opinion.
That's cool, no worries mate, it's all in good fun and I can appreciate that, I'm not one to be serious at all, in fact I enjoy joking and bs more than boring tech stuff, however after seeing things go off topic for 8 pages or so once someone throws humor in a ( firmware update ) post it kind of is in my opinion redundant. Keeping things in perspective and where they belong make it more worthwhile. Is that to serious? Maybe so , but the result is more successful and cuts down on having to read thru unnecessary comments when trying to move forward on an overly robust rack unit. Maybe if people create humourous threads and not piggyback on ones that are for a purpose it would be less convoluted. There's a site that is quickly becoming undesirable because of snarky remarks and smart ass humor , some respond to post and make statements about things they do not even try. Just my .02 , Cheers and rock Yo

Last edited:
One tool I use is this forum’s bookmark feature, to filter to just the info I need. For posts where I’ve found really helpful technical insights in kind of random spots, bookmarks work really well. You’re right that tangents are counterproductive, so I’ll call touché on that point. That’s the end of my tangent here. 🙂

OP, if you get a minute.

Try this patch and tell us what your thoughts are. (Try scene 1, I F'd and saved it on the lead scene)

I just loaded your patch and played it through my power amp and cabs. I would agree that there is a boxy-ness to this patch. And I'm finding other sims have less sparkle than I remember.

Attachments

• TestBoxy.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
OP, if you get a minute.

Try this patch and tell us what your thoughts are. (Try scene 1, I F'd and saved it on the lead scene)

I just loaded your patch and played it through my power amp and cabs. I would agree that there is a boxy-ness to this patch. And I'm finding other sims have less sparkle than I remember.
Thanks, definitely will give this a go, I was just going to maybe ask for anyone with the matrix who had downloaded the file I put up, and by the way this is not a preset I created just one I had downloaded and tried to dial in a bit) could possibly post one they were running with the same amp cab type scenario in the rock/hard rock vein. And damn you are ahead of! Will report after I give this ago, later today. If not at work I'd do it now. Thanks man

Back
Top Bottom