Sound Guy compliment

m lebofsky

Experienced
I've been going back and forth between my Axe/FRFR (QSC HPRs) and my old school tube rigs for the past 1.5 yrs.
We played a 500 person venue (Herman's Hideaway) this weekend that is known for good FOH, monitors and talent behind the board.
I told the sound guy I needed two XLRs panned hard L and R, no mics.
After our sound check, the guy (20 + yrs of mixing) says, "Dude, when you guys finish, teach me about your rack unit. That's the best miced guitar cabinet I have ever heard."
Well, we finished up, he came up on stage and we chatted about the Axe and the future of things.

IF I EVER GET ON HERE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT AXE/FRFR OR ANYTHING RELATED TO THE AXE NOT SOUNDING REAL, you all have permission to come to Denver and kick my %^$*&$^.
Waiting on the MFC is another story ....

+1 on this.

I play large show rooms in Vegas several times a year. I get compliments almost every time- and probably 50% of the time, I get sound guys who want a lesson in Axe-FX.

-Phil

Slightly different here:

I went into a PA shop today in Belfast Northern Ireland. I wanted to try some FRFR options. They only had the RCF Art 312a and 522a.

One of the guys behind the desk (who is american) was chatting about recording (Pro-Tools v Cubase) and about doing some mixes for a customer. I have been to local gigs where this guy runs desks. He always gets a good sound. i also happen to know hes a decent guitarist.

The customer was also a guitarist - talking about his Messa Mk 5 he just bought.

Well I plug my rack into the 312 - which (as it turns out) was OK but not up to the 522 - and select one of my patches (Fryette high amp). Its designed for my SLA-1 and VHT Cab. I stick a 30W cab with no mic on and start playing.

The two guys just look soney faced. I changed the amp sim to a clean without changing any other settings. The guy behind the desk comes over and bends down to look.

"Thats a sweet sounding Pre-amp. I knew you were using something but thats the best Ive ever heard". I tell him what it is - and change to the "Train Wrecked" pre-set. Play with a bridge HB, then the Neck SC with vol roled off.

The guy just shakes his head "Damn" he says. The guitarist customer comes over and looks. "Wish Id bought one of those instead of the Mk 5. What IS that thing?"

We channted for 10-15 mins or so - showing them round the Axe (using the 522 which sounded even better), then left with a smug feeling (amd probably smug looking too!) while these two guys just looked at each other.

Dont you just LOVE the Axe :D

I was in a studio in December, and the engineer was a little stumped when he saw my equipment, but pleased that he could take a direct in and not worry about guitar sound bleeding into the microphones (we were doing a "live room" demo). He later commented that he had never heard such good guitar tones direct (he was referring to various modellers, of course).

Better yet, a week later, I emailed him a better lead track that I did at home (recorded in Cubase). He was stumped when he was able to plug it straight into the song in ProTools (muting the original lead track), and it sounded exactly the same. Of course it was the same, I used the same patch... but he was thinking like a conventional engineer ("you'll never be able to mic a cabinet twice and make it sound exactly the same").

To this day, he still occasionally brings it up again, and states how incredible the "little box" sounds.

My story:

I have many friends and family who play. Varying styles. We had all gathered a few months ago and couldn't see an amp that I played through. Just some computer in a rack. Demo time.

My father in law is an old-school Twin Fender guy. Turns it up to 6 with his Gretsch, that's it. I just pull up my bouncy Fender patch, and he just stares at the box. Sometime later he gets his breath back and starts thinking of how much he can get for his Allessandro. Hears the 'verb and decides that he doesn't need to get that external Fender reverb unit he's been eyeing.

Another friend likes uber-bright Marshall tones. Existing Marshall patch (800), up the presence, and HE stares (coupled with a long string of 4 letter words.) He's especially shrill when I run through the Wah, phaser, and engage the TS. Loves deep delays too.

Metal friend. Click over to Peavey model, tightened it up, and whipped through some drop stuff. He's a SevenDust and Metallica guy, and he weeps a little and asks to play. I have to take it out of his hands in 15 minutes (which clearly went by in about 2 minutes for him...)

As insult to injury, I dial through most of the patches I've put together (AC30, Matchless, Plexi, 'Wreck, Mesa), and all the sonic landscape I can cover from FX to amps. More open mouths. Prices are discussed, and dreams are fulfilled.

I love these threads. I don't play out a ton but I've been stuck on a Trainwreck rhythm patch and a Vox Lead patch for about three months now. I've had so little time I haven't done anything else but its just amazing having consistent sound through the system day in and day out.

We're fortunate enough that the guy who designed our system (d&b LCR, Yamaha DM2000.. Nice stuff) attending the church now and he loves how I have a great full consistent sound every time we have service. I have no amp, I run off in-ears so I also offer nothing to stage noise which is just icing on the cake. We actually recorded a service a few weeks back and I need to pull a couple small clips where the axe just shines sitting nicely in the mix. I oughta get those clips up.

Either way - 'That little black box' has been the best gear acquisition in my 10 years of playing. Luckily I hadn't been down the boutique road yet to learn the hard(er) way financially. I briefly regretted not paying cash for a Lonestar head.. Not so much anymore.

A few weeks back, I walked in my guitar room and fired everything up (Axe FX into two Dynaudio active monitors) ,sat down and then plugged my guitar in. I dialed up my favorite patch and hit the first chord and let it ring out. A big smile then crossed my face and I thought, "Damn that sounds good!" (I don't have any friends or get out much). :)

shredi knight said:
A few weeks back, I walked in my guitar room and fired everything up (Axe FX into two Dynaudio active monitors) ,sat down and then plugged my guitar in. I dialed up my favorite patch and hit the first chord and let it ring out. A big smile then crossed my face and I thought, "Damn that sounds good!" (I don't have any friends or get out much). :)

Clearly the most heartwarming, inspiring and touching story yet in this thread :cool: :lol: :D :) ;) :| :roll:

shredi knight said:

I would have been much more impressed with this if you had argued with yourself about leaving the EQ on the monitors flat :shock:

Back
Top Bottom