Sound gets thin

jgparker59

Inspired
I set up my AX8 with a Roland EV5 expression pedal controlling the volume using the global volume setup to control input volume, because I need to do swells and tails, etc. However, when I want to play say at half volume by lowering the pedal, the distortion and my sounds gets thin. Not something I desire. I just want the same sound at sometimes lower volume. Now on my AX II’s I don’t have that problem. Could it be the Roland? Or the global vs setting up a volume block? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

There are MANY ways to control overall volume. Based on what you're looking for, I think there are better ways to control it than to control Input Volume, as you're now doing. There's nothing wrong with your hardware.... you just need to come up with a better way to control overall volume.
There's a lot of posts concerning this very issue, which I'd recommend you search for. But cutting to the chase, I think you'd be happier if you set up a Vol block after the amp (and maybe after the cab, as well) as you suggest above. You'd need to put that Vol block into any patch that you want to behave that way, though.
Alternatively, you could use an expression pedal to control the Cab Level, or the Amp Level (NOT Master Volume, though!).

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking that but guess I got lazy hoping the global would work. And to an extent it does but not exactly what I need. I set up my AX II the way you described many moons ago so I’ll give it a try with the AX8 too. Thanks

There is a global Out 1 and Out 2 volume. But they aren't too good for volume swells as any Delay and/or Reverb trails will be cut off.

There's a lot of posts concerning this very issue, which I'd recommend you search for. But cutting to the chase, I think you'd be happier if you set up a Vol block after the amp (and maybe after the cab, as well) as you suggest above. You'd need to put that Vol block into any patch that you want to behave that way, though.
This^^^

Alternatively, you could use an expression pedal to control the Cab Level, or the Amp Level (NOT Master Volume, though!).
This is an AX8 thread, the amp level is not attachable to a modifier in the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom