Sound engineer has issues with AXE--suggestions?

He's misunderstood the fact that you are actually bringing 'backline' as in your own powered monitor ..... no biggie. It'll turn out fine on the night

I am a guitar player and a full time audio engineer....and this is ridiculous. Why do sound people do this this to a band member that is obviously trying to better the experience of everyone by being volume conscious......it is difficult to overcome the prejudices that this type of representative furthers with this "know-it-all" drivel.

"The guitar pickups facing directly into the monitors speakers and horns usually causes feedback and eq problems. Guitar processors, even though they may sound great in the studio or other controlled settings, are still using speaker simulators which are just different programed eq settings to make them sound like popular amps, There's still nothing like a real mic'd amp to pick up traveling sound waves, due to air moving from the speaker at different levels from each guitarists own unique style of playing. Add in room ambiance stage sound mic placement etc.etc.."

Good lord....

Honestly...I'd find a new sound tech. Though that might be hard if you're too close to the gig. Guy doesn't know what he's doing. Removing one of the biggest noise makers (guitar amp) from the stage doesn't make a feedback problem worse...quite the opposite.

I have to say I agree. I saw Dweezil zappa use his FRFR monitor to great effect in terms of controlled feedback and his whole 'feel' while playing with the gain and its effects on the guitar (lots of effects in terms of 'feel' even way below actual feedback. of course). Virtually ALL of the guitar we in the audience were hearing was coming direct out of his Axe-FX and into FOH, and it was the best damned guitar sound I've ever heard! Given, this was a large hall with good sound reinforcement, not some dinky PA, but the it's still true that there were NO speakers facing us on the stage carrying guitar signal. Tell your sound engineer to go to a 'Zappa Plays Zappa' concert and shut up an' let you play yer guitar!
Half of what the sound guy said is true, and good advice: you do NOT want to rely on vocal monitors for your on-stage guitar sound and its necessary interaction with the guitar for an "alive" tone and controlled feedback.

The other half (nothing sounds as good as a well-mic'ed cab) is his opinion, and you shall stand by yours.

You can respond to him by saying that he misunderstood you, you do intend to have your own guitar monitor on stage, so no worry about point number 1. As for point number 2, tell him your only way to feed the desk is direct out of the Axe-fx, and it is the best there is, unparalleled. He is welcome to update his opinion afterwards. Metallica's sound guy is in agreement.

Last edited:
I play in a loud rock/metal setup exactly as he described as being bad. Granted I use 1000 dollar CLR monitors for my self, but my other 3 band members only get me in their cheap vocal wedges.

Any "Soundguy" worth paying would have just thanked you for the heads up and then did his own research so he knows what to do come sound check. His job is to mix your band, not tell you what you should be using.

I have to say I agree. I saw Dweezil zappa use his FRFR monitor to great effect in terms of controlled feedback and his whole 'feel' while playing with the gain and its effects on the guitar (lots of effects in terms of 'feel' even way below actual feedback. of course). Virtually ALL of the guitar we in the audience were hearing was coming direct out of his Axe-FX and into FOH, and it was the best damned guitar sound I've ever heard! Given, this was a large hall with good sound reinforcement, not some dinky PA, but the it's still true that there were NO speakers facing us on the stage carrying guitar signal. Tell your sound engineer to go to a 'Zappa Plays Zappa' concert and shut up an' let you play yer guitar!

yet dweezil is using k12's which buy most people's accounts are "vocal monitors". I've went with no amp at all once and played through the vocal monitor and got by fine... not preferred, but i'm not that much of a diva.

Some sound guys just fear change, and only want to do what they know. Once in a while you will meet someone who is open to new things and not immediately shut you down... it's rare though.

No need to get rowdy with him. He just doesn't know yet. It will be a good education for him. Especially when you hand him a single XLR, he spends 30 seconds getting the feed in other monitors, and he's done.

I'd say go positive, but firm in how you want to run your rig.

I don't get it. What is the difference between using the vocal monitors for your guitar sound or in ear monitors?

I don't get it. What is the difference between using the vocal monitors for your guitar sound or in ear monitors?

I'm no expert, but like I mentioned I went completely direct the one time I've used the AXE live. I was essentially standing on top of my stage monitor and it sounded great to me and the audience. No feedback issues at all. I'll bring a DXR10 to appease the guy but I'm already dreading this one--it's not "my gig" though so I also don't want to cause a headache and argue with the guy. I'll show up with the gear I choose to bring and he will do his damn job.

I've experienced something similar at a recent gig, but the house sound guy hadn't even heard of modeling/IRs, and when I tried to explain it to him, you could see his eyes kind of gloss over...then he said OK where should I place the mic?

I knew by the conversation he had just had with the drummer that he was a total doucher, so I just told him to mic my CLRs...ugh...It ended up sounding ok, but it was a frustrating experience.

To answer your original question, I'm not sure what to say in these kinds of situations. Arguing with them is just going to piss them off and in my experience you don't want to piss of the house sound guy. The good news is that we run our own sound most of the time, but I am going to have to think of a way to address this in the future.

There's still nothing like a real mic'd amp to pick up traveling sound waves, due to air moving from the speaker at different levels from each guitarists own unique style of playing. Add in room ambiance stage sound mic placement etc.etc.."

Good lord....

[/COLOR]

hmmm, maybe we need an "air movement" added to the cab block?

Must say, I've never had this problem. electronpirate's advice is the way to go for a stress free gig.

Wordy fluff is the last vestige of the ignorant. "Education is the path from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty."

Get a DI and bring your DXR. Let him put the mic in front of it, the just unplug the XLR and plug it into your DI (which of course is already connected to your Axe). He'll never know & you'll sound aces.

When you say "we are using a new sound guy ", I take that to mean that YOU are paying HIM, correct? He's your employee, so why do you have to explain anything? You're the artist and this is your rig. "Sorry, but this is what I use. Let's make it work."

When you say "we are using a new sound guy ", I take that to mean that YOU are paying HIM, correct? He's your employee, so why do you have to explain anything? You're the artist and this is your rig. "Sorry, but this is what I use. Let's make it work."

EXACTLY! Don't think the Edge let a wet behind the ears soundman tell him he couldn't use his Axe...

Back
Top Bottom