Sound Clips: Examples of Fractal Amp Models

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Added: A little further in this thread are some videos of Lance Keltner playing clips from the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, so check those out.

But to start - here's a SoundCloud clip playlist. Three different players, doing vintage amps, modern amps, clean tones, Class-A, all dry and in mono

(...unless the amp has reverb as part of it's signature sound, like Super or Deluxe Reverb, and I think the Dumble examples have a 2290 delay like Robben Ford uses).

Ten clips total, and each clip features roughly 8 to 12 snippets of different amps. The description on SoundCloud (@austinbuddy) details which amp is used in each clip, in sequential order, and the player.

Good examples of how well the Fractal reproduces amp models, once you dial them in! Will have even more amp model examples coming (this time with video), so stay tuned!

Preset-Pack-Naked-Amps-Box-Design SHRUNK.jpg

Last edited:
P.S. If you mainly like Modern or metal tones, skip the Vintage clips and go to the Modern ones...;)

Here's a short video of Austin rock guitarist Lance Keltner checking out 10 of the presets from the "Modern Amps" bank in the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack collection. Enjoy!

I'll add another short video of Lance playing amps from the Vintage & Boutique amp bank soon...

I would say, buy the Axe II. That way you get the mics you can't get in AX8. Then use Fractool to convert to AX8. Down side: none of the blocks will be assigned to Ax8 foot switches. Food for thought! (Some people do buy both for that reason)

A few conversion questions, if I may....

When you converted patches to the Mark II, was it necessary to tweak the patches with the alternate cabs that were switched in?

Would you be willing to make a PDF/spreadsheet/whatever for Mark II buyers that also have an AX8, showing the cabs that were switched out for the Mark II, but are available in the AX8?

When you converted patches to the AX8, did you alter the patches to account for the mics not being there?

Thanks.

A few conversion questions, if I may....

When you converted patches to the Mark II, was it necessary to tweak the patches with the alternate cabs that were switched in?

Would you be willing to make a PDF/spreadsheet/whatever for Mark II buyers that also have an AX8, showing the cabs that were switched out for the Mark II, but are available in the AX8?

When you converted patches to the AX8, did you alter the patches to account for the mics not being there?

Thanks.

Electric Phase: all good questions. Answered in another related thread somewhere before, but will repeat here.

Q1. Really avoided doing that. Would say at least 98% of the time, left the amps set up the same across Fractal platforms; just found another factory cab that still worked well from choices available in Mark II (<132#).

About 7 of 8 cabs did not need to be changed for the Mark II version of the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, so roughly 1 in 7 AX8/XL versions used factory cabs above #132.

So for Axe-Fx Mark II version -- I had to use other factory cabs to replace those in 1 in 7 presets, else you would get your own user cabs showing up.

I spent time making sure I picked the best cabs I could -- for example, if I liked a greenback or V30 cab numbered above #132 in the XL/AX8 version, then I tried to find the closest sounding greenback or V30 to the original version. Because I did this all on my XL I could switch back and forth between original chosen factory cab over #132 and the ones under -- I used my ears and took time.

Q2. Already done -- the download comes with a .pdf sheet generated by FracTool/spreadsheet of every TonePack preset and details the cabs paired with it for Scene 1/2 (X and Y) shown for the Ax8 and AXE-FX XL. Note that I do often, on purpose, change cabs from Scene 1 to scene 2 -- both are covered/shown.

From there, you can visually see what cabs had to be replaced for Mark II -- it's just any cab number over #132. So that way, Mark II owners/ you'll know what the original choice by me was for that preset. If you want to adjust your converted FracTool AX8 presets with cabs over #132 manually, it's all on the sheet.

Even deeper, after you buy, you can then run Fractool yourself on the Mark II Naked Amps Banks you got, and see what the cab replacements were/compare the two sheets if you really want to know what I replaced with what. For what's is worth, no one who has bought the Mark II version has bene unhappy about the cab choices. :)

(BTW, while it is free shareware, everyone should still contribute something to FracTool, so it gets better and better!)

Q3. Again, I avoided doing that. I tried in most cases to use Factory Cab IRs with mics already baked in, but there are some presets in XL/Mark II where the mic really made an improvement in the tone. Some modern amps liked the RE-20 or SM57 for example I recall, I did not keep a running list though. For the JMP Brit Preamp model as another example, I really like adding an MD421 and some proximity to make it very mid focused.

You will lose those extra mic tweaks in AX8 conversion since AX8 does not have mic choices at all. But that doesn't mean the sound will be bad, but I did not do major tweaking to then "re-adjust". There may have been a handful I did, but honestly I can't remember out of dialing in 259 amp models two to four times (w/cleans) over six months. ;)

Again, some players do buy both: an AX8 and an XL or Mark II version, so as to not bother with all of that.

If you buy for Mark II and use FracTool to convert to AX8, you will lose:

1. the Scene 1/2 foot-switch (but you can still use the AX8 "F" control buttons to switch Scenes -- so that is addressable), plus
2. lose the Fractal mics when they get used in cab block (I think mic proximity setting crosses over though), and
3. the drive block foot-switch visible/being assigned in AX8 version (or reverb or tremolo if amp has those) -- so you have to go through all presets manually to assign blocks to foot-switches, or at least for the ones you want to use for gigging.

Presumably you'd be adding you own effects and having to assign foot-switches for those any way, right?

Hope that all helps clarify...

Yeah, sorry about all the weeds in my answer but that was only way to convey answer to your questions. Enjoy!

As promised, here is a short video of Lance Keltner playing the tones from the Vintage & Boutique bank of the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack.

Now, who said a Fractal can't convincingly emulate a good old vintage or expensive Boo-Teek amp? ;)

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does the Naked packs actually overwrite everything in my AX8? Will I have all the original patches- but tweaked so the levels/ outputs are the same and essentially dialed in for a good amp tone out-of-the-box? These sound really good with Lance- he's one of my favorite players anyway... if he endorses it, you know!

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does the Naked packs actually overwrite everything in my AX8?
Any preset will overwrite whatever preset you load it into. If you want to audition the presets before you load them into your Axe, use the Audition feature of Axe-Edit's Axe-Manage Presets tool.

The Lance Keltner clips are really interesting. I've heard people say in the past that whatever Lance tests tends to sound the same. I've noticed that myself. That is not the case with these. I'm sure Lance has a sound in his head and consciously/unconsciously he dials in an amp/guitar to hit that sound. That's not the case with these. He changes guitar but not the amp, and we clearly hear the differences. That's the brilliance in these presets and the mindset with which people tend to approach them. . . you use them as they are and hear distinct differences, as opposed to dialing in your ideal tone. It broadens your perspective.

I bought the set a number of weeks ago. Glad I did.

Terry.

The Lance Keltner clips are really interesting. I've heard people say in the past that whatever Lance tests tends to sound the same. I've noticed that myself. That is not the case with these. I'm sure Lance has a sound in his head and consciously/unconsciously he dials in an amp/guitar to hit that sound. That's not the case with these. He changes guitar but not the amp, and we clearly hear the differences. That's the brilliance in these presets and the mindset with which people tend to approach them. . . you use them as they are and hear distinct differences, as opposed to dialing in your ideal tone. It broadens your perspective.

I bought the set a number of weeks ago. Glad I did.

Terry.

Thank you Terry. That's what I've noticed with the folks that have done SoundClips or videos of the TonePack -- the players all sound like themselves, yet playing through that amp so tones are distinct. As it should be!

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does the Naked packs actually overwrite everything in my AX8? Will I have all the original patches- but tweaked so the levels/ outputs are the same and essentially dialed in for a good amp tone out-of-the-box? These sound really good with Lance- he's one of my favorite players anyway... if he endorses it, you know!
Just load them into unused preset slots. These are not replacements for the factory presets.

Back
Top Bottom