Sound card takeover

addedc

Experienced
Most of the time, when my FM-9 is connected to my Windows 11 computer (which is connected through a mixer to studio monitors) it plays fine. But sometimes booting everything up changes my audio setting to the FM9 and then I hear nothing.

I am old and stupid and usually forget where to find the setting to restore my preferred audio setting. Is there a setting or a device boot up sequence I can use to keep this from happening?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
PC, Windows 11. There are at least 3 places to change sound settings, so if there's a way to stop it from happening, I would prefer that.

As long as the audio source is on, it will remain selected if the computer is rebooted. If the audio source (FM9) is turned off, the audio source will change to the next recognized device.

Hiya! I am on Windows 10 so not sure if Win11 is the same. If you right click on the speaker icon in your System tray, you can bring up a list of playback devices. You should then be able to set one of these (ie not the FM9) as the default. You can do this from the Control Panel too, under sound and audio devices.

As long as the audio source is on, it will remain selected if the computer is rebooted. If the audio source (FM9) is turned off, the audio source will change to the next recognized device.
Thanks. I think this is why it gets switched. I sometimes need to free up a USB and unplug the USB that connects my mixer. I will just always unplug the AX from now. Much appreciated.

Hiya! I am on Windows 10 so not sure if Win11 is the same. If you right click on the speaker icon in your System tray, you can bring up a list of playback devices. You should then be able to set one of these (ie not the FM9) as the default. You can do this from the Control Panel too, under sound and audio devices.
That audio devices which is default stays when it's on and when off then windows takes other one instead of "default".
I have Presonus Studio 1810 (Studio 1810) as default and if I put that on then windows take that because it's default and if I don't put
that on then computers own Realtek is working as audio interface. So same in Windows 11 that if sound device is default it works when its on.

My Axe is connected to my Presonus Studio 1810 and I use that compination when playing guitar (of course Axe works straight via USB to computer too).

• When playing guitar or making some stuff concerning music I use my Presonus Studio 1810
  • When playing computor games or other things I use computers own Realtek audio.

Last edited:
That audio devices which is default stays when it's on and when off then windows takes other one instead of "default".
I have Presonus Studio 1810 (Studio 1810) as default and if I put that on then windows take that because it's default and if I don't put
that on then computers own Realtek is working as audio interface. So same in Windows 11 that if sound device is default it works when its on.

My Axe is connected to my Presonus Studio 1810 and I use that compination when playing guitar (of course Axe works straight via USB to computer too).

• When playing guitar or making some stuff concerning music I use my Presonus Studio 1810
  • When playing computor games or other things I use computers own Realtek audio.
Yep sounds right!

I must admit, I am not sure what the OP actually needs - whether they want the FM9 to stay as the audio device, or not.

I assumed they did not want the FM9 to persist, hence recommending something else as the default device. That way if you game, watch YouTube or whatever, audio will stay on the default device, and you only switch audio to FM9 when you want to record, play guitar, etc.

This is how I do it with mine ...

Back
Top Bottom