Sound card options issue with Reaper

ThinWhiteDuke

Hello and sorry for the need to open a topic, I have been trying to do some research, I've come to this point and I would really need an advice over this peculiar situation now.

I have set up the drivers for the Axe-FX II XL on my Windows 10 PC. When I connect the Fractal via usb it works properly without the need of selecting it as my audio interface if the machine is turned on, every audio output just starts to be played in the speakers connected to my Fractal.

I have read the manual and watched this tutorial, but the weird thing is that the Axe-fx doesn't show up in the preferences->audio->device->audio system options of Reaper, as shown in the screenshot. The only solution left to record is to select ASIO, but doing so, I have no control over direct monitoring, as the Axe-fx keeps on sending to the monitors the signal of the guitar connected on the instr plug.

As shown in the second screenshot, the Axe-Fx should be a selectable option, so, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

PS Once I have solved this issue, in the I/O menu, how should I set up the Axe-fx for home recording in order to have the possibility to switch on and off direct monitoring correctly?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I have checked the suggested topics and re-read the manual (pages 13-14 and 134-135). Still I would need a clarification, please.

The point is that my guitar signal comes out from the speakers, wether the direct monitoring button is engaged or not. So, it's the opposite situation of the one in the suggested threads.

Main input source is analog in 1, the loudspeakers are connected on output 1 of the Axe fx. I enclose a picture of the settings in Reaper.

The sound of the guitar goes always through, if I switch direct monitoring on it seems like a doubled signal comes out of the speakers.

What I am seeking is total silence if the track is unarmed and the direct monitoring button is off, in order to have the Axe fx behave like a normal sound card.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks again in advance for your support.

Attachments

• immagine_2022-06-26_181241801.png
    immagine_2022-06-26_181241801.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 2
Your guitar will always come out of the speakers no matter what, as long as you have connections on the grid from the guitar input to an output.
Think about the sound card capabilities like an "extra", not something "taking over" the functionality.
If you don't want to ear your guitar either mute it via the Axe (tuner, volume block, input volume, ...) or just roll the volume on the guitar itself to zero.
If you ear a double sound, then you have direct monitoring on in reaper.

Back
Top Bottom