Sorting out the high end?

i have found that even with good IRs there is more bass and more treble than a real amp in a room. I therefore use a low cut and high cut on all my patches and it's made a world of difference.

Do you use an EQ block ? where do you put it in the chain ?

Thanks

Yup, you've got it.

Another way to do it, if you want simulated power amp breakup, is to turn Power Amp Modeling on and then go to the SPKR tab in the amp block and turn the Low and High Res parameters all the way down so that you get a flat response. This will let you use amps that get their distortion from the power amp, i.e. Fenders, Vox, etc.

Brilliant! That is definitely another avenue to explore, because what I'm hearing is sounding very very good!

Thanks Fractal for your excellent customer service!

I started out AX8 life with a Mesa 20/20 power amp into a Marshall 1936 cab. It sounded good but to me, never really captured the essence of a real valve amp/cab setup. I then purchased a Friedman ASM-12 cab (FRFR) and all of a sudden it is like having a completely new toolbox. The AX8 really shines @100% when you ditch the PA/Cab scenario because you are getting to use all of the modelling features and some incredible cabs/amp combinations. The whole sound just opens up. Anyhow - just my 2 cents worth.

Just posted a rant about my struggles using my AX8 so far. Tried the QSC K12 and was completely underwhelmed. I can't find the ASM in my area to test drive so I guess I'll need to take the plunge and buy one to see if that gives me what I'm looking for. Tried so many variables to this point and at times the thing sounds very good, but haven't had that "I'm happy I went this route" moment yet.

Silly clarifying question: I have seen the way to turn off the power amp is through 1) in amp block goto power slpy tab and reduce Supply Sag to where it says "P.A. Off", and 2) go into global and turn off Power Amp modeling.

So, 1) do BOTH of the above have to be done turned off for it to be off, or 2) do either turn it off, and the difference is simply the particular patch vs every patch?

Thanks, and just want to add I love this product and I love this forum and that Cliff jumps in from time to time.

#2. Amp block setting controls that single preset. Global setting overrides all amp block settings and turns it off for all presets.

Silly clarifying question: I have seen the way to turn off the power amp is through 1) in amp block goto power slpy tab and reduce Supply Sag to where it says "P.A. Off", and 2) go into global and turn off Power Amp modeling.

So, 1) do BOTH of the above have to be done turned off for it to be off, or 2) do either turn it off, and the difference is simply the particular patch vs every patch?

Thanks, and just want to add I love this product and I love this forum and that Cliff jumps in from time to time.
#2. Amp block setting controls that single preset. Global setting overrides all amp block settings and turns it off for all presets.
''Turning Sag to 0 disables the entire power amp modeling for the Amp block in the preset. The Sag control has no effect at all when Power Amp Modeling is switched off in the Global menu. Cliff: "If you shut the power amp modeling off from the Global menu it is not exactly the same as turning it off by setting Supply Sag to zero. This is because the virtual power amp always runs. So if you shut the power amp modeling off from the Global menu the supply will still sag resulting in a more compressed response. If the Master is set high the sag can be quite pronounced." source''
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AMP_block_parameters#SUPPLY_SAG

''Turning Sag to 0 disables the entire power amp modeling for the Amp block in the preset. The Sag control has no effect at all when Power Amp Modeling is switched off in the Global menu. Cliff: "If you shut the power amp modeling off from the Global menu it is not exactly the same as turning it off by setting Supply Sag to zero. This is because the virtual power amp always runs. So if you shut the power amp modeling off from the Global menu the supply will still sag resulting in a more compressed response. If the Master is set high the sag can be quite pronounced." source''
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AMP_block_parameters#SUPPLY_SAG
And this is why this forum is one of the best around - anywhere! The modeller is really complex and things are sometimes not as straightforward as they seem. It's this ^^^^^^ type of info that you get from the members that makes it priceless.

Reactions: sam
Couple of questions about the tone stack and presence in the Rockerverb. The only schematic I can find is the MKI and in that version the tone stack does not come off of the cathode but the plate, is this still the case in the MKII and MKIII? Also, is the lack of a presence control due to that fact that there is so little negative feedback? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom