Sorry L6, but a POD is a POD is a POD...

We get it - you hate Line 6.

Plenty of good tone in the Helix without much tweaking. I understand that not everyone has the "knack".

Geez - two vintage AC30s won't even sound the same with the knobs at the same spot, so I'm not sure why people think two modelers are any different. It is essentially comparing two amps that could have different tolerances on the knobs.

I didn't like either tone TBH, but tha AX8 was far closer to usable. I think the all noon setting with the TS808 would have been better than the all 70%.

I think it just goes to show you don't have to tweak insane parameters to get accurate tone from the AX8, where as you would have knobs (or sliders) all over the place trying to coax a decent tone from the POD....I mean Helix.

I would like to see a comparison, where a good tone is dialed in on each unit to match, then see what the differences are between the settings.

Bottom line, the AX8 sounds like an amp, the POD sounds like a POD....or more accurately a POS.

I think it would make more sense for you to be posting on the L6 forum.
It doesn't really add anything to this forum for you to start a thread talking about your hatred for a product from a different manufacturer.

I thought they both sounded great and I'm surprised the Helix was that close to the Ax, it's missing some bottom end but whatever, thats what bass guitars are for. It sounds miles above the terrible HD500X I had.

I am not a member of the L6 forums.

I posted it because it's an accurate comparison that people considering both like I was, can use to make a more informed decision. It just struck me how much the Helix still sounds like a POD, which I have tried several over the years, and ditched. If the FAS gear was not as good as it is, and as far ahead of the L6 gear, I would not own either of them.

I have heard some great tones using L6 gear. Tone is in the fingers, and with knowing how to tweak your gear. Also, what sounds good to you, may not sound good to someone else. I am sure the Helix is a great piece of gear and I am considering buying the Helix VST when it is released this spring.

That said, I come from the POD XT era of modeling. Owned some amps, plugins PODs etc. Nedless to say, when playing live and loud, I was floored when comparing it to the sound of an updated AxeFx. I also became increasingly annoyed with L6 marketing strategy which have been pushing much of the same technology in a new wrapping. Their products have had limited followup-support and short lifespan, and their value in the used market are but a fraction of retail prices. I was ready for something new, and something I knew would please my ears and not be "abandoned" shortly after release. With that in mind, I converted to the AX8 and fractal modeling - and I have not been dissapointed!

(L6 gear left in my possession is a pre-owned Pocket POD for quick practice/traveling puposes (got it almost for free),a Toneport DI I haven't bothered to sell. I'm also thinking of donating my POD XT to a neighbour kid, as its worth practically nothing these days)

I own and have gigged extensively with both the AX8 and the Helix. Although I love Ola's videos, that vid doesn't really do it justice. The Helix is great as well as the AX8. The Helix can sound killer too. Both are awesome tools that anyone would be lucky to own. Period.

I know for many Ola is the gold standard, but that style is pretty far away from my tastes these days. That said, while I've never played a Helix I kinda agree with the op's sentiment. I'm sure the Helix is a very capable unit, but I've purchased quite a few Line 6 units over the years and had the same experience pretty much every time being initially impressed but becoming increasing annoyed over time as the flaws of the unit became increasingly apparent. So yes, like the op I do have a bias, but my bias isn't based upon blindly loving the AX8 but from years of disappointment in Line 6 products. For me to be interested in a Line 6 product at this point, it'd have to be absolutely revolutionary (and I'm not entirely sure I know what that means at this point).

I had both.

I loved the display and interface of the Helix along with the scribble strips, dual amps, all that jazz. But I could not get a high gain tone that was lively without the fizzy upper mids. It was definitely much better than the last POD I used but I couldn't shake the feeling it was a much higher resolution version of the POD (kind of hyped sound). Add in the antiquated reverbs and I had trouble reconciling the product with the price.

I ordered the AX8 two weeks after I bought the Helix (with 45 day guarantee) and planned extensive comparisons...but it was just better to my ears from the first day. The gain felt more natural. I never liked small amps cranked up on the Helix as they sounded fuzzy and farty in a bad way. The AX8 sounded choked and spitty in a good way. It sounded like a little amp cranked up rather than a fuzz pedal with a filter.

Perfect world I'd love the ease of use of the Helix combined with the sound of the AX8. But I'd rather go for the high quality sound over the high quality interface. Although absolutely I want all the competition in the market to drive better products at competitive price points.

I'm sure the Helix would be a perfectly fine product in a vacuum. To be honest though even the best tonal showcases didn't wow me. I respect the hell out of Pete Thorn but the Helix demo he did sounded pretty lifeless. I really like his stuff when he's using it as a pedal board with his Suhr amps though. There weren't any Helix demos I heard where it's just a guy playing say a clean or low gain amp and it just sounded inspiring, but that's what I get plugging in the AX8.

Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom