sorry if already asked, need help with ir's please

drsts

Inspired
forgive the ignorance. i can't seem to get my head around the whole IR deal. i do understand the concept that this is a snapshot of an existing cab/ speaker set up that can be paired with an amp to deliver a different sound/tone.

what i can't figure out, once you purchase a pack of ir's from whomever, how do you utilize them?
ie how to load, adjust, etc.

does anyone know of a video (i'm a visual learner) or ir for super dummies that would help to explain?

thanks

If you purchase 3rd party IR files you will need cab lab or cab lab lite to convert the wav files to be used with the axe fx.

If you purchase 3rd party IR files you will need cab lab or cab lab lite to convert the wav files to be used with the axe fx.
I think that depends on who the 3rd party is... I didn't need to do this for the Ownhammer IRs I purchased (a while ago).

forgive the ignorance. i can't seem to get my head around the whole IR deal. i do understand the concept that this is a snapshot of an existing cab/ speaker set up that can be paired with an amp to deliver a different sound/tone.

what i can't figure out, once you purchase a pack of ir's from whomever, how do you utilize them?
ie how to load, adjust, etc.

does anyone know of a video (i'm a visual learner) or ir for super dummies that would help to explain?

thanks

Hi drsts,

you can find some very valuable informations on the wiki page hereafter if you have not seen yet:

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...C_Hi_Res.2C_Normal_Res.29_and_Cab_block_modes

you will find syx/IR or waves IR in the different cab pack available today,

for exemple :

1/ if you want to use the excellent ML cab packs,
you can load it directly in the Axe (above video) or listen/mix it in real time with cab-lab using the live mod feature

http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-cab-lab-ir-mixer.php ( the process is very well explained with the joined documentation)

2/ if you want to use the excellent Ownhammer packs, you will have to convert the provided waves IR in FAS IR/syx using cab-lab or cab-lab lite (very quick & simple process!) to load it in your Axe or in cab-lab.

Even if the waves to convert are 44, 48, or 96kHz or 200 / 500 ms, cab-lab will provide the right FAS IR-syx format (syx ready to load in the Axe or IR ready to be mixed in cab-lab)

In this packs you will find different folder which are designed for different use :

usually there is :

. Mix, Ace or Quick-start folder which are mix or selection of individuals IRs (different mic type / mic positions), and are ready to be converted/loaded and used as is

. mic folders where you can find all individuals mic takes, corresponding to individual mic type/position, provided to make your own mix in cab-lab, just like you were in a studio control room, mixing different mic, positioned in front of an amp!

. It's why the IR are so important, because they are provide us a scan/flavour of the real cabs (tonal characteristics)

i hope this informations will be useful,

cheers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom