Sorry but I have to say it... JC120

So do you use the JC-120 with the Axe FX II plugged into the stereo effects loop and - if so - what is the result?

Is it even close to a CLR or Matrix solution in terms of FRFR and tone?

EDIT: all - BTW - I know how folks are passionate about CLR v. Matrix so I apologize in advance if my question offends some Fractalites on the Forum. :lol

No i've never used it- and I've never tried it- but I COULD if i wanted to. one of the reasons i sold my vintage one for a moderner one

Someday I'll try it and let you know.

No i've never used it- and I've never tried it- but I COULD if i wanted to. one of the reasons i sold my vintage one for a moderner one

Someday I'll try it and let you know.

Is it the "Main In" jacks? My JC-120 is from the early-mid 80's.

The newer JC120's have a stereo effects return on the back...

There's a few differences actually -and throughout have been made in japan or made in usa and have had several small changes here and there- but the main difference from ones like 2005-to today is...

the new ones have a knob instead of a switch for chorus/tremolo and a stereo fx return
jc-120_back_panel_gal.jpg

Here is my new JC 120 patch for FW 11.05

Make sure you throw in the redwires JC cab (usercab is selected now) and if you have no sound try delete the chorus block

i am very happy with the results

Cheers

Hans

Attachments

• JC 120 CLEAN.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 19
As someone who grew up in the 60's and 70's, if you think 80's music can compare to that period :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm confused, what does saying people made some insanely good tunes and tones with that amp in the 80s (a timeframe where it was extensively employed) have to do with the relative merits of one decade to another in the general musical sense?

I'm confused, what does saying people made some insanely good tunes and tones with that amp in the 80s (a timeframe where it was extensively employed) have to do with the relative merits of one decade to another in the general musical sense?

Well, a) the original post sounded a little patronizing, so I was responding a bit to that. b) Personally, I do not think the 80's music I heard with JC-120s sounded good at all. The Marillon clip in this thread, if you must know, is... an embarrassment. I can't say there's never been good music made with this amp. I can't even say I haven't heard it and liked it - I might have. But I can say that none of the examples here sound good to me. The music is not inspiring, and the tone is sterile. Hey, just one guy's opinion, but I'd take almost ANY guitar tone from the 60's/70's over this. The ICONIC guitar sounds that are still with us today - think everyone from Kieth Richards' Satisfaction to Jimi's Machine Gun, all the way back to Link Wray - these are the tones that still inspire me, as does a great blues player playing an organic clean-to-break sound on an old bassman. 99% of the guitar sounds you hear today are tube amps, or modeled after tube amps. There's a reason for that.

Well, a) the original post sounded a little patronizing, so I was responding a bit to that. b) Personally, I do not think the 80's music I heard with JC-120s sounded good at all.

Check out the Police. Andy Summers was a notable user. As per a previous post in the thread Lifeson/Rush, also. If you don't "get it", fair enough. I'm not trying to sell you one. LOL. Just saying their recording pedigree and unique sound certainly merits classic amp status for me and anyone else from my generation of players.

Also, FWIW, this is literally the only place I've ever seen an "internet pile on", on those amps.

Check out the Police. Andy Summers was a notable user. As per a previous post in the thread Lifeson/Rush, also. If you don't "get it", fair enough. I'm not trying to sell you one. LOL. Just saying their recording pedigree and unique sound certainly merits classic amp status for me and anyone else from my generation of players.

Also, FWIW, this is literally the only place I've ever seen an "internet pile on", on those amps.

Never liked Summers as a lead guitarist, though his sound was definitely right for the Police - just thought his solos blew. SO, I stand corrected. As for Rush... at the risk of being lynched on this site, they were never a favorite of mine... Lifeson's tone was certainly unique and instantly recognizable, though, and I liked it in the context of their sound, so, I stand corrected TWICE!

Cheers.

The newer JC120's have a stereo effects return on the back...

There's a few differences actually -and throughout have been made in japan or made in usa and have had several small changes here and there- but the main difference from ones like 2005-to today is...

the new ones have a knob instead of a switch for chorus/tremolo and a stereo fx return
jc-120_back_panel_gal.jpg

Thanks Jeries - my JC-120 is the vintage/older version prior to the CH-2 effects loop.

But the vintage /older version does have two Main In jacks. I wonder if they would be just as effective for running the Axe FX II into the JC-120 and whether the JC-120 power amp would color the sound.

The JC-120 has been tonally phenomenal for 30 years of my running the slave output of my Mesa Coliseum 300 Series (meaning I can get great heavy to clean jazz fusion and rock tone through the JC-120 open back cab and speakers).

So maybe I'll turn off cab sims and do a test this weekend using Cliff's Pre Yellow (etc.) and see how she blows! :)

I have a newer JC 120 and use the effects return with the axe when not going frfr. I disable the cabs and it sounds great. Can get really loud. Compared to a 2x12 cab with a crown amp, the Jc 120 is a little duller but can be easily eq'd to sound the same. It is a viable amp and speaker solution for the axe imho.

It aint good for much else, again, imho.

The inputs on the front are high/low channel one and high/low channel two so i wouldnt use the amp with more than one input used

The inputs on the front are high/low channel one and high/low channel two so i wouldnt use the amp with more than one input used

Agreed. But I was referring to the two Main In jacks in the back of the vintage JC-120. While the vintage version does not have an effects send and stereo return inputs it does have stereo (I assume) Main In jacks in the back panel.

So I'll give the Axe a test run (with the cab sims off) through the Main In jacks in the back panel of my vintage JC-120 and report back.

It's the best god damn clean tone i've ever heard

I have the box... but i still keep the JC

Even if I dialed the axe's in i'd still keep it...

Channel one is perfect and prestine, channel to is lush and perfect

It also takes all pedals perfectly

and has tone like nothing else in the world.

It's also true stereo...

on top of that- it has a TRUE STEREO fx loop
so what other combo in the world is out there that I could pug the axe fx ii into and get speakers/poweramp/stereo- in one?

It may be a one trick pony but it does in some cases the most important job- clean tone.

I like one trick ponys- i'd rather have 20 guitars and 10 amps that do one thing each then 1 of each that does it all (not so well)
Ya need your ears cleaned! It only has one Boney Maronie sound, & chorus isn't one of them!

Ya need your ears cleaned! It only has one Boney Maronie sound, & chorus isn't one of them!

That amp has one of the hummiest power transformers in the history of amplification. It starts with a 120db thump that'll knock you on the floor if your not ready! I think guys like Waylon Jennings used that amp on 90% of his recordings & it became a real boring experience to listen to his records! I was a constant drone that wouldn't go away & gave Country a real crappy name for quite a while.

I do apologise for sounding so rude, but I darn near got killed with one back in the 80's when I touched my guitar strings & a mic with my lips @ a gig. I was literally sent back on my heels & I was stunned with the numbing sensation that I got after the shock! I'm truly grateful that that era of music is long gone!

So again guys, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone here but my memory of this isn't a good experience!

Last edited:

That amp has one of the hummiest power transformers in the history of amplification. It starts with a 120db thump that'll knock you on the floor if your not ready! I think guys like Waylon Jennings used that amp on 90% of his recordings & it became a real boring experience to listen to his records! I was a constant drone that wouldn't go away & gave Country a real crappy name for quite a while.

I do apologise for sounding so rude, but I darn near got killed with one back in the 80's when I touched my guitar strings & a mic with my lips @ a gig. I was literally sent back on my heels & I was stunned with the numbing sensation that I got after the shock! I'm truly grateful that that era of music is long gone!

So again guys, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone here but my memory of this isn't a good experience!
You basically said the same thing 9 years ago in this thread (which has been dead 9 years)...

You've been here 9 years and only posted 3 times, all in the same thread about the same point ;)

By the way, Jeries is no longer with us so he won't be responding.

Back
Top Bottom