Sooo much clipping of factory presets...help

Trey

On the patches I have created from scratch, the levels are very close to the level if you bypass the unit. If I try to take a "tour" of the factory patches OUT 1 is violently clipping on nearly every patch. The presets aren't anywhere close to the bypass output. What gives? I've got medium output passive PUs in everything I've got. Changing the input trims or output pads don't seem to do anything because the get "compensated" digitally and that clip light keeps going red. I feel I can't get a good read of any of the factory sounds. Any suggestions?

Some questions to help answer your question.

What firmware version are you on?
Have you downloaded any updated factory presets?
How is your AxeFX connected to external gear. (ie 4 cable method to an amp, direct to a powered frfr montior, using front input? etc.)

Would 8.02 update presets?
I run 4 cable method but for patch surfing just spidf to the computer (Zen Studio)
After really going through many patches a good deal are in spec but some are just equipment damagingly off base. I guess I'm just surprised.

Where is that power am modeling located? I too had an issue with the factory presets..everything was distorted, even the clean amps...I thought it was my pickups, as they are fairly hot (tremonti PRS), I even had my input only set to 16 as that still tickled the red. But then I dug into the parameters and found that all the factory presets had the amp master volume set to 10. Backing those way down was the only way I could even get the clean amps to sound clean...is that normal? Is this related to the power amp modeling, or is this a different issue?

Where is that power am modeling located? I too had an issue with the factory presets..everything was distorted, even the clean amps...I thought it was my pickups, as they are fairly hot (tremonti PRS), I even had my input only set to 16 as that still tickled the red. But then I dug into the parameters and found that all the factory presets had the amp master volume set to 10. Backing those way down was the only way I could even get the clean amps to sound clean...is that normal? Is this related to the power amp modeling, or is this a different issue?
You may check this:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...ock#INPUT_DRIVE.2C_OVERDRIVE.2C_MASTER_VOLUME

I used to have that problem too. I was running the current firmware with outdated presets. For example I had quantum firmware but pre quantum presets. Once I updated the presets, the clipping was gone and everything sounded much better.

Power Amp Modeling is located in the Global menu. Knowledge of the Global and I/O menus is mandatory for full control of the hardware.

don't turn the MV down...if it's a ten it's a non-mv amp and that's what the control at 10 is mimic'ing. do that as a last resort when tweaking.

On the patches I have created from scratch, the levels are very close to the level if you bypass the unit. If I try to take a "tour" of the factory patches OUT 1 is violently clipping on nearly every patch. The presets aren't anywhere close to the bypass output.
you probably don't want your presets close to Bypass output - that's pretty quiet.

you want to level your presets using the Horizontal VU meter in the Utility menu. aim for the middle line for middle volume presets.

also, use the LEVEL parameter in the Amp block to adjust preset volume (with some exceptions).

Back
Top Bottom